diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Anyone heard of radiometal for transformer core? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/220282-anyone-heard-radiometal-transformer-core.html)

MGH 24th September 2012 12:29 PM

Anyone heard of radiometal for transformer core?

I was on the AudioNote site and read that they use radiometal core in their top transformers. According to them, it's 55% nickel core that has been "treated" (bombarded) with some unnamed radioisotope. This process is suppose to increase the sensitivity of the transformer to low level signal. Is this just marketing BS or has some scientific or measurable validity? Anyone know where to get it?

Audio Note

TheGimp 24th September 2012 01:59 PM

Nickel core laminates are normally better. However with regards to the treatment, without specific details citing references for the process and effect, I'd say "snake oil".

bear 24th September 2012 02:42 PM

The alloy is undoubtedly melted down early minted US Nickels and old Atwater Kent radio chassis... :D :D

Sorry, could not resist...

_-_-bear

LinuksGuru 24th September 2012 03:01 PM

Radiometal is a product of ED Fagan Inc, manufacturer of special purpose alloys.
45% Nickel-iron alloy, close by its properties to high-flux permalloy (Bmax = 1.6T).

Nothing special, just another high quality soft-magnetic material.

MGH 24th September 2012 03:17 PM

I guess it's another classic AudioNote marketing snake oil claim to sell their transformers at exorbitant price. Instead of the standard 45% radiometal, they got 55% with "special 12 step process" that dramatically improves the sound quality.

Who is a reputable manufacturer of nickel cores? Can't trust the Chinese stuff.

Yvesm 24th September 2012 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found in RDH4 :

DF96 24th September 2012 04:25 PM

AudioNote said:
Quote:

The difference between the 50% and the 55% is not subtle either, although I have to say that unless the rest of the circuit is maxed out with the best possible parts and the amplifier is used in a system with complimentary equipment, it may not be as obvious.
That sounds like a standard audiophool snake-oil cop-out clause. Rough translation: if you can't hear the difference then it means that your equipment is not good enough, not that our magic does not work.

LinuksGuru 24th September 2012 04:39 PM

AudioNote transformer's aren't bad by any means, they are just overpriced, and represent no technical wonder whatsoever.

DF96 24th September 2012 05:22 PM

It is sad that someone with a good product can't just sell it on the basis of it being a good well-engineered product, with 'this' and 'that' genuine feature. I blame it all on the lack of proper science education in our schools, but that is another topic!

12E1 24th September 2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DF96 (Post 3177085)
I blame it all on the lack of proper science education in our schools, but that is another topic!

...Aided and abetted by the so called Discovery Channel. It's a prime source of incorrect science and mismatched terminologies (power, voltage and current apparently being interchangeable in some programmes)