Glowing Plates of Doom - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2012, 11:47 AM   #41
TV7 is offline TV7  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes the Australian government is afraid of guns, lasers, illicit drugs and some forms of uncooked foods. I can wholly understand......
I got some 100mW lasers out of a light show projector some time back, one way to get passed customs. Well used to be. Funny thing was I gave them away, one mistake and you are blinded. I decided to play it safe.
Old 6th November 2012, 09:30 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

yes you need the right glasses for the right wavelength, and the right wattage/intensity inorder to work on these things while they are live fire.

As a substitute, I could do with a fast response time spark gap oscillator.

If I get the frequency high enough I might be able to embed an audio signal onto the back of the pulses of light from a spark gap generator.

All we really need is pulses of light that are modulated at audio frequencies to carry an audio signal down a piece of fiber, don't we, once we obtain that we should be good. for the TX part anyway.

This method would however be very unpopular as it basically introduces the worlds best RF injector into the audio signal path, even when properly shielded.

Don't think I'll be doing that!

I wonder what the rise and fall time is of a neon lamp though?

Even better, I do have a large stockpile of those directional neon lamps from russia, I wonder if they could be given a sinewave signal and put out usable light at a certian carrier frequency (would have to be higher than audio frequencies)

We all know from turntables that they are useful up to at least 60hz....

Last edited by freax; 6th November 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 6th November 2012, 10:05 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

And I can use a photomultiplier tube for detection of the end result on the other end of the fiber.

Photomultiplier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

as long as care is taken to ensure isolation from the outside ambient light, you should be able to simply interface with the high impedance output of the photomultiplier tube and drive an amplifier on the other end.

But if I can get the light bright enough I might be able to drive a phototube: Phototube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Possibly with using an old laser tube out of a laserdisc player... But I don't want to hack mine up and I suspect the tube is burnt out anyway.

And I would need two of each tube.

Last edited by freax; 6th November 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 6th November 2012, 10:11 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Spark Gap oscillator? Neon? Sounds like you would have been happy at the turn of the last century rubbing shoulders with Nikola Tesla..... Funny thing is I was just reading the GEC glow lamp manual about relaxation oscillators, siren generators and so forth.... hell you can even make a token ring counter, logic and memory circuits with the humble neon. And I have made plenty of Tesla coils in the past, great fun.
Old 6th November 2012, 10:33 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV7 View Post
Spark Gap oscillator? Neon? Sounds like you would have been happy at the turn of the last century rubbing shoulders with Nikola Tesla..... Funny thing is I was just reading the GEC glow lamp manual about relaxation oscillators, siren generators and so forth.... hell you can even make a token ring counter, logic and memory circuits with the humble neon. And I have made plenty of Tesla coils in the past, great fun.
Yes, and I need to get my hands on a frequency generator if this is going to be tested.... Wonder if ol' Tesslie will lend me his.
Old 6th November 2012, 10:35 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Build one. I'm still trying to track down an easily built 6BM8 series voltage regulator circuit, looks like trying to design one myself from scratch......
Old 6th November 2012, 11:20 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

6BM8 as a volt regulator eh, interesting. 6BM8 Volatge regulator - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Old 6th November 2012, 11:23 PM   #48
Zekk is offline Zekk  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV7 View Post
Build one. I'm still trying to track down an easily built 6BM8 series voltage regulator circuit, looks like trying to design one myself from scratch......
It's at AudioKarma, titled: 6BM8 Voltage regulator.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:16 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

quick note - I've built that Sound Practices 6BM8 regulator for two different preamps. It was quiet enough but I actually preferred the sound unregulated.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:21 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Hi you guys.

Please get real. There is no way of sending amplitude modulated Audio over a fiber optical link. The laser diode is grossly non linear and would result in distorted output. In my opinion a better way would be to frequency modulate the laser-light as on off pulses with variable pulse repetition rates. This modulator could work at perhaps a center-frequency of about 1MHz and a FM deviation of perhaps 200kHz.

Then we have to have a frequency demodulator circuit at the transmitter end within a feedback loop to correct any distortion in the transmitter modulator.

At the receiving end there has to be an identical demodulating circuit that without feedback which should mimic the transmitter Audio input.

I have never done this so I have no idea what trouble I would be in.

Just a thought that is all, I am sure to receive a whole lot of "flack" for this idea.

Hans J Weedon.

Hide this!Advertise here!