Help! Did my power cable blow his tubes? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 22nd September 2012, 07:48 PM   #21
Truth is offline Truth  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M View Post
This whole thread sounds like something belonging in the Vendor forum. Sending a cord half way around the world, sounds like some kind of Ebay scam gone bad.
Just pay the $641.00 and call it the price of doing business.
I sent the cable to him for free, so that he could review it, I haven't gotten any money.

Old 22nd September 2012, 08:00 PM   #22
20to20 is offline 20to20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
I sent the cable to him for free, so that he could review it, I haven't gotten any money.
"Review," or audition? I hope he wasn't going to write something about it.

Technically, if your connector to the amp was loose, could it not create an intermittent contact that might not have been detected until multiple short power loss and resumptions occured? Is that a condition like flipping the power switch on and off quickly ? What could happen under those conditions?

Old 22nd September 2012, 08:14 PM   #23
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

A friend of mine reviewed audio gear for a magazine for a while. He got a lot of quite nice gear for free in exchange for a favorable review. To me it sounds like this reviewer wants to get both a free power cable and a free tube set.

I don't see any way a wiring error in the cable could result in a blown fuse unless you connect hot to either ground or neutral. Even then, it would blow the fuse/circuit breaker in the main panel, not in the amp.

The most commonly used power plug for 120 V in the US is the NEMA 5-15P. Unless you have changed the wiring in your house to some illegal setup, there is no way to get more than 120 V from a household outlet that matches that plug.
The 120/240 V plug commonly used for cooking ranges, clothes dryers, and welders is about the size of a hockey puck. That's the NEMA 14-30. It's a four-pin plug. No self-respecting European would allow a plug that ugly to be used for HiFi...

You can see the various connector types here:
NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~Tom

Last edited by tomchr; 22nd September 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Old 22nd September 2012, 08:14 PM   #24
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

What was on the ends of the power cable? IEC female and Edison male? That's what would be standard for the USA. The 120V Edison plug is not common in Europe. Did you supply that?

Old 22nd September 2012, 08:56 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20to20 View Post
"Review," or audition? I hope he wasn't going to write something about it.
He is a reviewer to a popular audiophile magazine and he was going to review it.

Old 22nd September 2012, 09:00 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
What was on the ends of the power cable? IEC female and Edison male? That's what would be standard for the USA. The 120V Edison plug is not common in Europe. Did you supply that?
I am using this plug.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 22nd September 2012, 09:13 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

You didn't blow the amp. Sorry to tell you this but I don't buy into the power cord hype, the speaker line or interconnect hype either. Being that I work in the audio business I get to play with all the toys. I can hear absolutely no difference between power cords and all the other snake oil stuff. My suggestion is this.... find something that actually works and market that.

Old 22nd September 2012, 09:32 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
He does not want to review your cable for free. He obviously wants $641 to start dealing with you.

Old 22nd September 2012, 09:37 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I already paid $100 of my own money to ship the power cable, something I would have needed elsewhere, and now I'm in financial trouble. There is no way I can get enough money from anywhere to pay for the tubes and fuses.

Old 22nd September 2012, 09:41 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
There is no way I can get enough money from anywhere to pay for the tubes and fuses.
If you read the thread carefully, you should have gotten the impression that there is no obvious need to pay the money, unless there is obvious evidence that your cable damaged the amp.

Greetings,
Andreas

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!