New DC to AC to high voltage AC idea? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2012, 04:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New DC to AC to high voltage AC idea?

ok so i just have two tiny double A batteries and a low power 50 watt 12 inch old subwoofer
i have a wire set just touching the middle of one lead from the positive side of the battery so that it keeps a constant on and off signal and the negative side of the battery goes directly to the other lead..and in between the positive side of the battery and the wire that goes to the (middle of the lead that goes to the speaker)
i have a transformer that converts the voltage to a higher voltage
how this works is when the power from the batteries hits the subwoofer.. the speaker moves up and since the lead is only touching the wire that goes to the battery but not staying connected to it. once the speaker goes back down to its resting place the speaker is hit again from the voltage of the batteries and the cycle is repeated
and in doing so it produces a sort of AC?
the switching speed is low enough to be around 50-60hz it's as close as i can get
also i tested the transformer and it does indeed produce very high voltage of over 90 volts at the output side!!
when i hook something up to the output of the transformer it makes sparks go flyin for a half second when i connect the output to some other high voltage device!

is there some way to simplify this into a smaller circuit with the same output or better output results?

there is no resistors diodes transistors or capacitors in this DC to AC circuit I made!
and it works pretty darn good and doesn't drain the batteries too much at all it's been running for about an hour hooked up to a high voltage lamp and it's been going strong for a long time and still going (although the noise from the subwoofer is annoying I managed to block out the sound somewhat
and somehow even though its so noisy my mom is able to sleep on the couch right next to me haha
so does anyone think that this could be useful somehow?
Old 21st September 2012, 09:22 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

That sounds like the doorbell plus transformer which I used as a youngster (12 or 13?) to make some sparks. I now hate to think what it was doing to my neighbour's TV and radio reception! At the time I was too ignorant to think about such things.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:29 AM   #3
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

LOL,

It sounds like a relay with its coil powered via the normaly closed contact..

Feeding a transformer...connect a capacitor across the coil to slug the relay.

The free added extra is a pile of noise created by the back EMF and magnetic interference...
great for testing your amp for pick up.. <<<watch it melt down with instability..LOL
The sub woofer is probably better you can test your tubes for microphonics at the same time..Thump crackle, thump burrr, thump clang,

I think you will find its not a sort of AC its a sort of square wave chopped DC + a pile of Hash.. (ie you cannot transform DC ..yes you can if you chop it into a square wave or switch it on and off)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 21st September 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Flintstone SMPS !!

A couple of motors connected and you got a smaller unit then the woofer.
Old 21st September 2012, 10:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Flintstones LOL
The mechanical action makes me think of a hydraulic ram for some reason. OP, it isn't really useful. The reason is that the same thing can be done far more efficiently without moving parts... well, the only moving parts are electrons in a conductor. But I think your tabletop experimenting is great.
Old 21st September 2012, 03:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is not a new idea.....this is exactly how car radios made in the 1940's and 1950's made 300 volts from a 6 volt car battery to power the vacuum tubes. The really old tube testers had sockets to test the "vibrator".

My first car had a pair of 6V6's operating from a 6 volt car battery. It was a 1949 Plymouth.

Vibrator Power Supplies
Old 21st September 2012, 07:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

well it generates over 100 volts with just one double A battery because when i hook a light bulb up to it the bulb lights up easily!
and yes i think its a chopped square wave so im just using the subwoofer as a fast on and off switch
and i think i can convert the high voltage back down to high current and lower voltage somehow
but i dont want to blow something up with that LOL but it could be useful in powering something at the beach with some little puny batteries lol
very very good lifetime of these batteries actually! after an hour of running powering something they aren't even warm! they're still stone cold! it's really cool!
Old 21st September 2012, 07:35 PM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

There are better methods, but it is fun to play.
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

DC to AC inverters are dirt cheap right now.....
Old 25th September 2012, 04:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hey realflow it is sounding like you have invented the perfect perpetual energy converter .. Well done . Now would be a good time to get paranoid as the oil companys will be wanting a quiet chat with you alone in a secluded woods ..

Hide this!Advertise here!