some poor n00b who may have gotten lucky... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2003, 12:04 AM   #1
SQ Kid is offline SQ Kid  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to SQ Kid Send a message via MSN to SQ Kid Send a message via Yahoo to SQ Kid
Default some poor n00b who may have gotten lucky...

hey, did a search, but came up with nothing. got what was supposed to be an oscilloscope this summer, turned out to be some very old (pre-PCB) transistor tester. so outta luck there. however, this beast is all tube. somewhere around 30 of em. so i figured, gut it and make an amp or two. these are the different tubes ive got and i'm tryin to stick with just these if i can (a broke college kid). so if anyone's got any easy/basic/noobie schematics with these tubes, i'm very interested.

12AU6
6AU6
6GC7
12AU7
6AN8
6AL5
12AT7
6BW4
12B4

have multiples of a few of em, so i dont mind using more than one or making a couple monoblocks or stereo amps
Old 27th October 2003, 12:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

you scored some nice tubes
a nice amp could be made
input- 12at7/6au6 pentode,6an8
driver-12b4 (great beefy driver)mu of 4
output 6080 also known 6as7 low ra but also very low mu around 2. hence the input has have high mu
depending on how many 6080 and 12b4 you could opt for pp or se or even otl if you lots of 6080 . Frank would have some info about otl
Old 27th October 2003, 12:53 AM   #3
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

OTOH:

common (ish) preamp tubes (dual triodes):
12AU7
12AT7

rectifier tube:
6BW4

The rest might not be that useful. 6080 is hard to use in audio applications I have heard; however it is a dual power triode, which means one tube could be used for a stereo output tube for a headphone amp.

You might want to look at either building a preamp, or buy say a couple of 6V6 and some small line matching transformers, build a small power amp or something. Wouldn't cost too much at all.

Most useful will be the iron- power transformer and chokes (inductors) are alwys useful.
Old 27th October 2003, 12:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
How many 12AU7s, *AU6s and 12B4s do you have?

Tim
Old 27th October 2003, 02:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to SQ Kid Send a message via MSN to SQ Kid Send a message via Yahoo to SQ Kid
thanks for all the input. a preamp sounds like a very good idea, along with the headphone amp. i'd love to make all these things, but lets see what ive got for #s and time

12AU6 (6)
6AU6 (6)
6GC7 (1)
12AU7 (1)
6AN8 (5)
6AL5 (4)
12AT7 (1)
6BW4 (2)
5651 (1)
12B4 (2)
6080 (1)

like i said, i'm new to the tube stuff and i'm under the assumption that these tubes all work (probably not, but at least have a few to play with), so if anyone's got any good schematics or links to some with these tubes, i'm all for it. thanks again
Old 27th October 2003, 04:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hmm..

I envision.. 6AU6 in triode mode for preamp stages. Maybe one as cathode follower for output buffer - or even use the 12B4s instead, and get headphone drive that way!

That 6080 should prove useful, but it needs a lot of drive voltage and a low load resistance. So maybe some more 6AU6 will come in handy, in pentode mode, for some good gain.

I don't know/remember what the other tubes do.. but I can tell you, the 6AL5s (dual signal diode) are relatively useless. String 'em up on the Christmas tree.

Tim
Old 27th October 2003, 04:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

*Opens new window to Frank's Data Sheets*

6BW4 should be useful. Maybe use it for the rectifier for that preamp. It could be used on a 6V6 PP amp, but you don't have those tubes so I'll hush up about that...

Hmm, you have two. Could use both of them to rectify the power for the 6080 power amp...

5651, ah yes, an 85V regulator tube. Used as voltage reference in voltage regulator applications... chances are, one of the 6AU6s or 12AU6s was being used as an error amplifier, and the 6080 for pass tube. Can't really use it for anything else, though if the inside coating is worn through enough it might make a good nightlight (hook it up to 120VAC through a 33k 1W resistor.. mind your safety when doing this!).

What else... 6GC7... doesn't ring a bell.. doesn't show up in any tube type searches either.. I'll assume it was a typo and you meant 6CG7? Then you have a skookum driver tube, might use it for the 6080 power amp.

6AN8... generic triode/pentode combo. Could use it for gain/phase splitter in an amp.

The 12AT7 is similar to the 12AU7, except higher gain and a little less umph. Maybe RIAA preamp?

Tim
Old 27th October 2003, 05:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

A vaccum tube transistor checker?????? And you want to destroy such a find??????!!

Please tell me you only pulled the tubes (not the CRT. Leave that one in), and send me the carcass! I will pay you for it and shipping!

I would love to have one of those in my collection! Hopefully the sockets are labeled as to where the tubes went, or there is a sheet on it somewhere with tube layout.

How big/heavy is it? (30 tubes. Yikes!)

Email me:

gabevee@yahoo.com

Gabe
Old 27th October 2003, 05:23 PM   #9
HDTVman is offline HDTVman  United States
diyAudio Member

Ya Gabe I know. Doesn't know that he has a curve tracer to use for matching output transistors for that big SS amp. Way better than a couple resistors and a volt meter to measure current gain and what ever else.

LaterBZ
Old 27th October 2003, 06:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

haha, yeah, its the curve tester (i believe, dont remember the name off the top of my head). this thing would cost big $ to ship (i'd say that its over 50 lbs and is about the size of a 20" tv). everything is labeled on the setup. didnt even pull the tubes, just checked what they were labeled on the thing. not sure if it works or not, never got around to even warming it up. but the person who gave it to me i believe said it did work. if someone is interested in it, maybe i will let the whole thing go. was just planning on gutting everything i needed (everything is setup in an elaborate yet easy to modify point to point setup, no pcb's) and getting rid of the rest (all i would grab would probably be the transformers, tubes, tube sockets, and maybe some resistors or caps). but if people are interested, i'll snap some pics next time i go home (maybe a month or so) and see what i can do. email me or somethin

Hide this!Advertise here!