• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Supermalloy for the Power transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In general, Supermalloy has a square hysteresis loop and would be entirely unsuitable for a power transformer. You can make a more compact power transformer from exotic alloys like cobalt, but that would be the only benefit. It's better to limit use of exotic core materials to signal transformers, and maybe filter chokes at the extreme.

John

I never saw smiling power transformer. But heard buzzing ones...

:eek:neither did i, but i saw those listening to my tube amps and noticed their wide smiles that lasted throughout the music playing.....

heard buzzing traffos too, simply tightening bolts cured it while at other times wedging the center leg, and then dipping a vat of varnish cures such woes.....but luckily for me i have never seen any of my traffos burn out on me, i must have been doing something right.....:D

In general, Supermalloy has a square hysteresis loop and would be entirely unsuitable for a power transformer. You can make a more compact power transformer from exotic alloys like cobalt, but that would be the only benefit. It's better to limit use of exotic core materials to signal transformers, and maybe filter chokes at the extreme.

John

Hi John,
i agree....:D i have small traffos harvested from junked pc peripherals like modems, etc...i have yet to find use for those...would you know what materials their core were made from?

We use custom finemet iron for our Feastrex amplifiers. Power transformer is the last one we use finemt core.

1st we use finemet for signal, output and inter-stage
2nd for chokes in power supply
3rd power transformers

Important thing is careful component selection, transformer and capcitor matching.

When we compared same TA-300B SET with orient core power transformer, and one with finemet core power transformer, It was very clear, one with finemet power transformer was superior. Everybody in that room was agreed, and asked for price difference. Can I afford it? well that was a big question! ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

okey, what happened to 1 ear?:D

1 ear is probably good for line input transformer. For power transformer it is too small. :)

I have some nice transformers. They are flat, less then inch long, but both windings have 15 Henry inductance. They would be priceless if had some shield between windings! What is the core material? I don't know, honestly. But it is something exceptional.

Funny in my Rouge Audio monoblocks both trafos are sized the same :) very well designed gear solid and inexpensive I must admit.

BTW PSU trafo works at 50/60Hz so it could be just a low bandwidth trafo while OT has to be wide bandwidth. As I recall at high frequency intersectioning that is what playing major role not core. A core is responsible for low frequencies transconductance.

Supermalloy helps make smaller trafo core of the same power transconductance that is lead to a smaller trafo overall with lower capacitance as a benefit and might improve frequency response of an OT. For a power trafo size does not matter much in terms of BW.

I regret I missed cobalt core OTs form Magnequest actually. Cobalt cores were applicable to military avionics where weight is supercritical and government budgets are asymptotic to infinity :) Most exotic stuff to play with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.