Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2012, 04:11 AM   #21
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmsandy View Post
Tony: absolutely perfect answer...
perfect measuring device... the human ears...
sorry to dissapoint you but i am not one of those with golden ears.....to me it is not the ears, but the brain....there is where everything happens, in your brain.....the ear is just a port that converts sounds into electrical signals to be the processed by the brain.....
Old 19th September 2012, 04:21 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
by the width and duration of the smiles....
I never saw smiling power transformer. But heard buzzing ones...
Old 19th September 2012, 04:24 AM   #23
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

In general, Supermalloy has a square hysteresis loop and would be entirely unsuitable for a power transformer. You can make a more compact power transformer from exotic alloys like cobalt, but that would be the only benefit. It's better to limit use of exotic core materials to signal transformers, and maybe filter chokes at the extreme.

John
Old 19th September 2012, 04:26 AM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I never saw smiling power transformer. But heard buzzing ones...
neither did i, but i saw those listening to my tube amps and noticed their wide smiles that lasted throughout the music playing.....

heard buzzing traffos too, simply tightening bolts cured it while at other times wedging the center leg, and then dipping a vat of varnish cures such woes.....but luckily for me i have never seen any of my traffos burn out on me, i must have been doing something right.....
Old 19th September 2012, 04:29 AM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsem View Post
In general, Supermalloy has a square hysteresis loop and would be entirely unsuitable for a power transformer. You can make a more compact power transformer from exotic alloys like cobalt, but that would be the only benefit. It's better to limit use of exotic core materials to signal transformers, and maybe filter chokes at the extreme.

John

Hi John,
i agree.... i have small traffos harvested from junked pc peripherals like modems, etc...i have yet to find use for those...would you know what materials their core were made from?
Old 19th September 2012, 04:47 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmsandy View Post
Tony: absolutely perfect answer...
perfect measuring device... the human ears...
The same transformer can measure for example 10 or 13 ears, because all ears have different sizes!
Old 19th September 2012, 04:51 AM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
The same transformer can measure for example 10 or 13 ears, because all ears have different sizes!
okey, what happened to 1 ear?
Old 19th September 2012, 05:22 AM   #28
fulken is offline fulken  United States
diyAudio Member

We use custom finemet iron for our Feastrex amplifiers. Power transformer is the last one we use finemt core.

1st we use finemet for signal, output and inter-stage
2nd for chokes in power supply
3rd power transformers

Important thing is careful component selection, transformer and capcitor matching.

When we compared same TA-300B SET with orient core power transformer, and one with finemet core power transformer, It was very clear, one with finemet power transformer was superior. Everybody in that room was agreed, and asked for price difference. Can I afford it? well that was a big question!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th September 2012, 05:41 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I got a message. Cable niche is too tight, the new game is around power transformer core.
Old 19th September 2012, 05:47 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
okey, what happened to 1 ear?
1 ear is probably good for line input transformer. For power transformer it is too small.

I have some nice transformers. They are flat, less then inch long, but both windings have 15 Henry inductance. They would be priceless if had some shield between windings! What is the core material? I don't know, honestly. But it is something exceptional.

Hide this!Advertise here!