Supermalloy for the Power transformer? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2012, 06:52 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Id better to use batteries in series...
Old 18th September 2012, 07:10 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchone View Post
Do you understand how a power supply works?

I thought i kinda, sorta understood. Yet, i am constantly baffled with obvious sonic differences between power transformers which cannot be explained or attributed to obvious parameters. It is very much like power cords i guess.

And yes, i have always wondered what a really nice core could do for a power tranny.
Old 18th September 2012, 08:58 AM   #13
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

cores meant for opt's can be used for power traffos and vice versa......it is just about size, winding geometry and power handling.......IOW judicious use of materials is key......i know of no law that says it can not be done....
Old 19th September 2012, 02:40 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Didn't say that, just that the purported benefits were rather dubious. A properly designed silicon steel transformer with lower internal resistance and leakage inductance looks to be better than a supermalloy monster over twice the size/number of turns. The money is better spent for shielding, good filter capacitors, RFI abeyance, and other measures to make the supply voltage as clean and pristine as possible. You'd have a lot of money left over, too... That's all for now.
Old 19th September 2012, 03:10 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
And yes, i have always wondered what a really nice core could do for a power tranny.
How to measure degree of niceness?
Old 19th September 2012, 03:13 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchone View Post
A properly designed silicon steel transformer with lower internal resistance and leakage inductance looks to be better than a supermalloy monster over twice the size/number of turns.
I agree about low DCR, but I would prefer higher leakage inductance, but lower capacitance between primary and secondaries.
Old 19th September 2012, 04:02 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

like i said if its generic psu where transients doesnt matter. Just a statement is amplifier is just the modulator for the PSU so no matter how good is the modulator if the source of power is not fast and quick with massive transients things are different...

Lets consider if we have distortion figures are like still .2% but still it doesnt matter as long as the core of the transformer makes the sonic difference...

in terms of mathematics we are already there but we dont get that sonic beauty without proper materials. People like Audio note have made the observations and conclusions and I hardly see any people complaining about their products...

I found one guy who does amplifiers and he always says that things are ot perceivable when it comes to the last 5% but when I auditioned his speakers were very bad I dont understand how come people conclude without proper high resolution speakers.

I am following Audio notes perceptions... nothing wrong in them I have personally auditioned their products with sonus faber higherend 2 way speakers and they sound fabulous and extremely good and natural... no second thought... so guys I dont know how many have achieved it without good materials in their equipment.
Old 19th September 2012, 04:03 AM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
How to measure degree of niceness?
by the width and duration of the smiles....
Old 19th September 2012, 04:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I agree about low DCR, but I would prefer higher leakage inductance, but lower capacitance between primary and secondaries.
you lost me on the higher leakage inductance....
Old 19th September 2012, 04:05 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Tony: absolutely perfect answer...
perfect measuring device... the human ears...

Hide this!Advertise here!