Would using a 16ohm speaker damage my SE output transformers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Enough so you get the power needed for listening !
What I really meant was - "If it is not advisable to run a tube output unloaded, how much load do you need?" Would 100 or 600 ohms on an 8 ohm tap be enough? If yes, then 16 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm tap should be just fine, right?
Old 16th September 2012, 03:29 PM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've not had problems with loads of up to 100 ohms, but would not recommend running much more than 16 ohms on 4 ohm taps as this is unknown territory to me..
Old 16th September 2012, 03:53 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Itīs the reflected load on the tube thatīs interesting, not what load you have on which winding.

Somewhere a long the line the tube starts misbehaving with a to light load, then you have reached the limit.

As long as there is enough load on the transformer to prevent voltage building up creating shorts there shouldnīt be a problem ??
Old 16th September 2012, 04:14 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi!

The amp will not get destroyed if you run it with a 16 Ohm speaker unless it is extremely poor designed. In that case it could also be destroyed with a 4 Ohm speaker if run hard. Keep in mind that the speaker impedance varies over a wide range for most speakers. Even a 4 Ohm speaker can have impedance peaks well above 30 Ohms in the bass region.

In my experience many speakers benefit when they are being driven from a lower impedance. As suggested you can experiement with resistors in parallel. But keep in mind that a big portion of the power will then get burned in the resistor. A resistor will linearize the speaker impedance. This may or may not yield a sound improvement. Experiment and use what works best

Thomas
Old 17th September 2012, 12:55 AM   #15
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post

Headphones are sensitive devices and what a speaker eat chew and spit out will kill the headphones.
And it won't do your ears any good either. Do be careful you don't have the volume up too high when you connect your headphones.
Old 17th September 2012, 02:40 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I've not had problems with loads of up to 100 ohms, but would not recommend running much more than 16 ohms on 4 ohm taps as this is unknown territory to me..
Kevin,

I'm surprized at your reply.

Is it simply your personal "unexplored territory" that made you say that or do you know of theoretical reasons why it may be harmful to drive more than 16 Ohms from a 4 Ohm transformer tap?

The question was about safety, not fidelity. It is reflected load that matters, is it not?

Francois
Old 17th September 2012, 05:47 AM   #17
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois G View Post
Kevin,

I'm surprized at your reply.

Is it simply your personal "unexplored territory" that made you say that or do you know of theoretical reasons why it may be harmful to drive more than 16 Ohms from a 4 Ohm transformer tap?

The question was about safety, not fidelity. It is reflected load that matters, is it not?

Francois
Perhaps you are reading too much into my reply.. In the case of a zero feedback amplifier there is a point where effectively even though there is "something" connected to the secondary it no longer constitutes an effective load, and under fault conditions there is probably greater potential for excessive voltage to be developed across the primary in the event the output tube is driven into hard clipping or cut off. (flyback) This is probably far higher than the numbers discussed here, but without knowing anything about the amplifier I can't put a hard fast number on what is ok and what isn't.

Without scope, the specific amplifier and load on the bench I can't reasonably state what maximum value of load might be safe under worst case circumstances. All I'm actually saying is "proceed with caution" and I am just one voice amongst many here.
Old 17th September 2012, 02:24 PM   #18
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I tried it and it works perfectly fine with 16 ohm speakers and 25 ohm headphones on the 4 ohm output. It is off triode-strapped EL84's. Thank you kevinkr and everyone else.
Old 17th September 2012, 03:12 PM   #19
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I just tried my 600 ohm headphones and it works too!
Old 18th September 2012, 08:59 AM   #20
palmas is offline palmas  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Not a problem even to let the the speaker unconnected, at least in all my designs and constructions!
I just use good quality transformers and use a fixed load of 220Ohm inside the amp.
I test run them unloaded to see if there is any problem and there never was...
Also run them with 2Ohm and appart from the small reducing in frequency response, never had a problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!