Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 01:50 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Rich,
Thanks for the comments.

I ran up the Baxandall circuit today and was very pleased with the tone controls. The gain was what I was hoping for (although I have to measure/calculate that yet..).
I'm going to make the supply nice and solid (regulate the HT and heaters), so I think the preamp is going to please me when it's done.

I've decided that I'm going to build my power amp as per the original Motorola console design that I started with (the PP channel and PSU). I did run it briefly and it was silent and sounded good, although I had no measuring equipment at the time.
There are a couple of nice thick copper sheets sitting ready to be drilled too.
I get to use the same power transformer and PSU setup. I'll just make a few mods to remove bandpass filters, etc and I'll be away.
Also, I'm going to build the amp point-to-point, as in the future I may want to try another topology (e.g. the Pilot design) or add mods like bias circuits, etc.
(I think one is enough, or maybe 2.. also being on a low budget and not really wanting 134 tube amps lying around, like some addicts on here!)

One extra I've already planned for the amp is a high voltage screen regulator (from the Red Light District design) - an easy addition.

Anyways, I'll post some pics when I have something to show

Hide this!Advertise here!