• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

HT power supply high?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the following circuit I would have expected to get around 332v instead of the 354v that I measure. Is this due to the traffo windings or is there another reason?

I want to build another valve pre using the same power supply but that requires 320 v.

dg1-voltages.gif

Thanks palmas. Yes measured under load.

Presumably as the other circuit I want to build (using ECC82) calls for 320v, I can change the values of those 390r resistors?

BTW - can you tell me what the gain of that 5687 circuit is please?

Gain should be about 22,6dB (13,5x).

I found a few odd things about that circuit:

if you have only 2,4V bias, the plate current should be about 30mA, and that has two problems:
the voltage drop on the 8k2 resistor will limit the output swing (lower than 100V plate voltage), power dissipation on that resistor is above 7W and the battery will discharge fast.

You should: reduce the 8k2 resistor, or increase the bias voltage or place the bias battery in the grid (virtually no current consumption), or both. Place it in series with the grid stopper resistor, negative side to the grid, and increase it to 6,0V at least.

Last edited:
Thanks again Palmas. The gain is a bit high to be ideal in my system. I'm looking for about half that, hence looking at the other circuit (or can I modify that one?).

As regards the battery, you guys know infinitely more than I do about these things. All I can say is that I've used the pre amp years without any problems.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
So your mains voltage is 2.6 % high, resulting in a B+ that's 3.9 % high. There are so many variables factoring into where the B+ settles, so if you want a high-precision B+, I suggest going with a regulated supply. You can see my website for an example of a B+ regulator.

But seriously... 3.9 % variation from target is actually pretty good for an unregulated supply. I wouldn't worry about it. If you really want to reduce the B+, I suggest increasing the 100 ohm resistor you have in series with the diode bridge.

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.