• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A Question About Positive Feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
To me grounded grid amplifier is like this:

But I have been noticing that also this "good old" name has today other meaning.
I am wondering why. Did'nt the inventor of "new grounded grid amplifier" know that this name was already in use ?

I resist the new imho incorrect usage vehemently, and agree with you and DF96, imho the originator of the misuse of this term did it for reasons of self promotion. :D

Not sure why someone would want to apply positive as opposed to negative feedback unless one also wanted to boost the OLG or wanted to make an oscillator of course.. :p

Putting positive feedback around a (real) grounded grid stage could increase the input impedance for the tube below it (cascode driving case), which could be quite useful for a triode driver's linearity. But one will more likely end up with a VHF oscillator unless extreme counter-measures are taken. (ferrite beads, ground plane for grid 1, plate cap for the grounded grid stage, cage, feedthru cap in ground plane)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. So, the short tailed pair with positive feedback looks like this?

Attachments

• Schematic 3.jpg
    Schematic 3.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 119
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.