• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with Multi Section Can Cap replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I am replaceing the multi section cans on my Crown SXA. The current cans are 40/10/10/10 @ 475v. I would like to keep the look as original as possible so my preference would be the CE MFg. models. I understand increased capacitance can be benificial in these cases but how much is too much? Which would be my best option.

40/20/20/20uF 525 VDC, CE Manufacturing

40/40/20/20uF 525 VDC, CE Manufacturing (What would be best section to run second 40uf to)

20/20/20/20 µF @ 475 VDC, CE Manufacturing (with additional parallel 20uf sub chassis)

I have included a schematic

Thanks,

SXA schematic

Schematic for Crown SXA

Attachments

• sxa-photofact1.jpg
    sxa-photofact1.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 94
Hi Guys

The best option is to leave the original cans in place and disconnect them completely from the circuit. Then use individual modern caps inside the chassis and connect them to the circuits they power. This allows the ground for each cap to be placed where the circuit is rather than having a compromised joined ground where signals can modulate each other.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.