Transformer orientation and suggestions. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2012, 10:25 AM   #11
palmas is offline palmas  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Just another thing: why use PCB? point-to-point wiring is so much better!
Old 13th September 2012, 10:41 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Already have the PCB's and this is my first amp build. I thought it would make it easier.

Last edited by nanchangbob; 13th September 2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 6th November 2016, 07:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default 4 in 1 tool

Most of my work is from DIYer's guitars and amps with issues from pickup/xfrmr polarity issues. Here is one of my builds, that defies explanation.

Will spill the beans with this simple tool. Power the amp up and czech the +/- of the xfrmrs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 T00LS in 1.jpg (312.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Oldsmobile.JPG (898.5 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by engelheimer; 6th November 2016 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Doh!
Old 7th November 2016, 01:15 AM   #14
Trajan is offline Trajan  United States
diyAudio Member

Consider the weight distribution as well if you can. Nothing leads to dropped amps like all the weight on one side.
Old 7th November 2016, 01:17 AM   #15
drlowmu is offline drlowmu  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I do NOT like the On-Off switch brought forward to the front, and in proximity of a Selector Switch. Avoid this !!

I like the Power Transformer tucked away in the left rear corner, as you drew it. Can you somehow locate the On-Off switch back there too?

I do NOT like the RCA input jacks in the rear vertical portion of the amp, requiring LONG wires to reach the selector and volume switches. TOO much chance for a degrade, of lowest level signals, in those long wire runs !!

I would have RCA jacks on the TOP of the amp chassis, right front corner or front middle area, so you can insert interconnects into the amp from any direction, and KEEP the lead length 2 inches or less, into the amp.

The choke, away from the power transformer is good, but do NOT let it crowd the Selector Switch, especially if its choke input, as the first filter element

Then, you have it !!

Jeff
Old 7th November 2016, 10:49 AM   #16
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanchangbob
My chassis has holes cut in the back for IE and binding posts. I rotated the back piece so I can have the amps sit as a mirror image to each other.
Bad idea, IMHO. It guarantees that the two channels cannot be identical (e.g. stray capacitance), as you can't get mirror image valves. It may look nice, but the main purpose of an audio amplifier is not to look nice but to amplify.

Hide this!Advertise here!