• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Broskie Unbalancer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been inspired to build one of these after reading a thread about this tube stage
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/196552-buffalo-iii-dac-tube-output-stage.html

Details of Unbalancer circuit
The Unbalancer

...and instruction manual here: http://www.tubecad.com/2011/11/25/Unbalancer 9-pin.pdf

I see there are a few people interested in this device so thought I would start a thread for discussion and also hope some experts out there can answer a few queries.

I'm a DIY novice but have always wanted to build a valve amp. I had intended to build an SRPP preamp stage and collected many of the parts, before seeing the Unbalancer and changing tack, I have some questions about suitability of these parts for this Unbalancer:

1. TUBE SELECTION
As I have an existing power supply board I hope to use, I'd like to build this point to point. I have four 6SN7 tubes and see that 6CG7 is a recommended tube for both stages. Comparing the data sheets for both tubes, other than the pin numbers they seem very similar apart from a couple of parameters that I don't understand: 6SN7 Output 0.7uuf vs 6CG7 output 2.2uuF, the plate dissipation figures are also a bit different but suspect this isn't an issue. So could anyone confirm if it would be ok to use 6SN7 tubes for both stages of the Unbalancer, would they be a good choice or would there be any disadvantages?

2. VOLUME CONTROL
The manual shows a volume control can be integrated, but it is not clear to me where this should be added in the circuit, i.e. input or on the output. I would like to use this as the output I/V stage for a BB1794 DAC and ultimately feeding a PAss F5 amp. Could anyone recommend where a stepped attenuator would best be placed for my needs please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Appears no-one offered the OP some help - I'll start:

(1) 6SN7 will be fine, but I'd just do the PCB build if you haven't done tube projects before. I built my unbalancer using the PCB, and it was still quite hard to get everything perfect. This means you'll need to use the 6CG7 (get the ones with shields, not 6FQ7).

(2) Put the stepped attenuator after the Unbalancer. (I put mine in between, but another forum thread has some good discussions around CMRR). I doubt you'd hear a difference, though.

Only need a single twin triode to unbalance a DAC.

Excellent CMRR, PSRR. balanced input impedance,
Very low output impedance, and able to drive as
little as 4K7 load with good symmetry.

Why it has excellent rejections, harder to explain.

Broskie's BCF offers much the same. But this one
is *mine*, obviously figures which I would prefer...

Attachments

• wako2.asc
    3.3 KB · Views: 319
I have been inspired to build one of these after reading a thread about this tube stage
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/196552-buffalo-iii-dac-tube-output-stage.html

Details of Unbalancer circuit
The Unbalancer

...and instruction manual here: http://www.tubecad.com/2011/11/25/Un...er 9-pin.pdf

I see there are a few people interested in this device so thought I would start a thread for discussion and also hope some experts out there can answer a few queries.

I'm a DIY novice but have always wanted to build a valve amp. I had intended to build an SRPP preamp stage and collected many of the parts, before seeing the Unbalancer and changing tack, I have some questions about suitability of these parts for this Unbalancer:

1. TUBE SELECTION
As I have an existing power supply board I hope to use, I'd like to build this point to point. I have four 6SN7 tubes and see that 6CG7 is a recommended tube for both stages. Comparing the data sheets for both tubes, other than the pin numbers they seem very similar apart from a couple of parameters that I don't understand: 6SN7 Output 0.7uuf vs 6CG7 output 2.2uuF, the plate dissipation figures are also a bit different but suspect this isn't an issue. So could anyone confirm if it would be ok to use 6SN7 tubes for both stages of the Unbalancer, would they be a good choice or would there be any disadvantages?

2. VOLUME CONTROL
The manual shows a volume control can be integrated, but it is not clear to me where this should be added in the circuit, i.e. input or on the output. I would like to use this as the output I/V stage for a BB1794 DAC and ultimately feeding a PAss F5 amp. Could anyone recommend where a stepped attenuator would best be placed for my needs please?

The first link is broken. Could someone give us another link to a guide to build an unbalancer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.