• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Output Transformer Issue???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a 2 year old ultra-linear output transformer that I believe is malfunctioning but I guess I don't know how that could be or how to prove it is...basically it's been working fine the last two years but recently a tube malfunctioned (not bad, just a couple "sparks" inside after coming off standby and then I immediately turned it off). I replaced the tube and since then whenever I take it off standby I get a loud hum (it sounds exactly like a grounding issue) and then blows a fuse. Even with all the power tubes removed it does the exact same thing. I tried removing different components in the power section to see if something else was causing the issue but the only thing that consistently causes this "phenomenon" is when the B+ is connected to the OT's center tap so to me it's got to be something between that point and the outputs. The plate and screen pins of the power tubes do not show a short to ground, but the outputs on the secondary do (I can't remember if that's normal or not...). Any ideas? It seems like there's got to be a short to ground somewhere in order for the current to move through the transformer and create an audible signal on the speaker...how can I test an OT to verify whether it's working correctly or not? Thanks.

Hi, I have a 2 year old ultra-linear output transformer that I believe is malfunctioning but I guess I don't know how that could be or how to prove it is...basically it's been working fine the last two years but recently a tube malfunctioned (not bad, just a couple "sparks" inside after coming off standby and then I immediately turned it off). I replaced the tube and since then whenever I take it off standby I get a loud hum (it sounds exactly like a grounding issue) and then blows a fuse. Even with all the power tubes removed it does the exact same thing. I tried removing different components in the power section to see if something else was causing the issue but the only thing that consistently causes this "phenomenon" is when the B+ is connected to the OT's center tap so to me it's got to be something between that point and the outputs. The plate and screen pins of the power tubes do not show a short to ground, but the outputs on the secondary do (I can't remember if that's normal or not...). Any ideas? It seems like there's got to be a short to ground somewhere in order for the current to move through the transformer and create an audible signal on the speaker...how can I test an OT to verify whether it's working correctly or not? Thanks.

Which tube did you see the sparks in? Output or Rectifier?

disconnect the output transformer and check insulation of all windings (between wirings and iron, and from winding to winding.
My guess is you melted the insulation on the primary of the transformer, but this usually leaves a very characteristic smell...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.