• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Maggie 8802 placement issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, hope all is well and that you can shed some light on something thats been bugging me for a few days!

Ive recently got a new Hifi rack made from 15mm MDF wood which i have put my Hifi equipment on (it used to be a generic glass shelved unit). I have on this rack my Rega RP3 with Benz micro wood SL cartridge feeding into a holfi battriaa phonostage. My preamp is a basic cambridge audio 640A Amp which the pre outs are fed to my Magnavox 8802 console amp.

Before i moved onto this new rack the sound was lovely and warm, i could literally listen to it for hours without fatigue. Lately though i cannot listen to more than 30mins without wanting to turn it off because of harshness in the treble area.

It sounds like all of the midbass region has been sucked out of the sound and all is left is bloomy bass and fairly harsh treble which grates on me.

The speaker setup i have is 2 Mordaunt short Mezzo 6 speakers with a REL T5 subwoofer (whose cable had to be extended with copper speaker cable to accommodate the height difference of the new rack).

Anyone got any ideas what this could be? I know the CA amp does often need a few days warmup to sound remotely nice, but i cant sense it getting any better after 5-6 days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.