Can you recommend a tube tester? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2012, 03:18 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I'm going to agree with speakerfritz and battradio on the Mercury 1000 and Eico 666/667. I own them both and like them. The TV7's are way over priced for what they do and have become a cult item. Full printed manuals with data are available from "glendalemanuals" on eBay at low cost.
Old 8th September 2012, 07:47 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

The Eico 666 is still a bargain, but you have to be careful with the manuals - the early ones are full of errors...

The only downside to the Eico is that it tends to give different readings every time (!)

I also have an avo MKII and have taken the time to restore and fully calibrate it - but I still use a DMM to accurately set the negative grid volts. It gives accurate results if you do this.

Some testers like the avo can be used to create crude plate curves. That is the main reason I have it.

If it is just to test if tubes are OK the the Eico 666 should really be fine.

Lastly - Never buy a tester where the mains plug has been cut off.

Ian

Ian
Old 9th September 2012, 09:38 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Location: Near Eindhoven, the sanctum of the pentode. and among that other things.
Send a message via Skype™ to v4lve lover
the negative grid voltage needs to be measured by a MK8 avometer ive heard..

Kind regards
v4lve
Old 9th September 2012, 03:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thank you, All, for your guiding advice; you have given me some great ideas and suggestions. Fortunately I have time on my side and I don't have to make any rush decisions. Best wishes and (given ArtG's suggestion) if any of you are located in Minnesota US and would like to loan time, tester, or just expertise, don't hesitate to send me a private message.
Old 10th September 2012, 03:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lve lover View Post
the negative grid voltage needs to be measured by a MK8 avometer ive heard..

Kind regards
v4lve
Funny! Any true rms AC digital voltmeter can be used if you read the Avo manual and understand how the circuit is working. If the unit is correctly calibrated, negative grid volts set to 100 will give a reading of 52.5 on your rms AC digital voltmeter...
Old 10th September 2012, 10:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The Westom 981 type 3 or the heathkit tt1 copy . Had the Weston for 15 years worked well up dated the diodes checked the osc. tube . Price has gone up from the 20 dollars I payed at a hamfest.
Old 11th September 2012, 03:06 AM   #17
TBL is offline TBL  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I ams using a Mercury 2000 tester. It uses one tube and the results are quick. It has one downside, it does not individually test either of the two sides of a dual triode such as a 12AX7. It is a true bargain coz I had mine for something like US$250 including the case and the manual, in a fully working status.

Hide this!Advertise here!