• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PT laminations are usable as OT laminations ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you had two identical ones you might be able to get away with using them as they are

I recently cleaned out my warehouse to eliminate the rent payment. I had about 10 MOT's that I had collected over the years. There were two pairs so I decided to test them. The ratio from primary to secondary (not using the heater winding) is about 20 which works out to a 3200 ohm primary for an 8 ohm load. I wired each pair into a SSE amp and tried EL34 and KT88 tubes. They were virtually useless until I hammered the shunts out, then they were just lousy. Both kinds had poor frequency response, the larger pair didn't even make it to 1KHz. I decided to punt. and all went to the metal scrapper.

Too many transformers, not enough space.

I...The ratio from primary to secondary (not using the heater winding) is about 20 which works out to a 3200 ohm primary for an 8 ohm load. I wired each pair into a SSE amp and tried EL34 and KT88 tubes. They were virtually useless until I hammered the shunts out, then they were just lousy. Both kinds had poor frequency response, the larger pair didn't even make it to 1KHz. ....

Thanks, that means one less experiment none of have to do. Seems the iron might be salvageable for a power transformer but that is it.

I recently cleaned out my warehouse to eliminate the rent payment. I had about 10 MOT's that I had collected over the years. There were two pairs so I decided to test them. The ratio from primary to secondary (not using the heater winding) is about 20 which works out to a 3200 ohm primary for an 8 ohm load. I wired each pair into a SSE amp and tried EL34 and KT88 tubes. They were virtually useless until I hammered the shunts out, then they were just lousy. Both kinds had poor frequency response, the larger pair didn't even make it to 1KHz. I decided to punt. and all went to the metal scrapper.

Too many transformers, not enough space.

what i had in mind is just to use the iron, the copper wires had to go....obviously, we can not use those traffos as they are....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.