• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Recommendations on How To mono a pre amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does an optimal method exist for producing a mono signal out of a 2-channel signal? I'd like to switch this option in and out on my pre amp without too much difference in audio level. So I was thinking of a relais and several resistors but this way it would raise output impedance (which is 1K5).

Bluntly shorting the hot wires on the output might be the simplest of simple solutions. Perhaps via two 1uF capacitors?

Shorting the inputs might upset the CD player, toasting the delicate BurrBrownies... hmmmm :scratch1:

OK, a summing amplifier goes a little too far :D)
On the other hand... how about connecting the cathodes together?

Last edited:
two 100-300 ohm resistors then short the outputs together.
i think the burrs shouldn't mind that, since they often drive 32ohm impedance's.

one 100-300 ohm resistor on each channel, then combining them after the resistor. i don't see any reason for that not to work. correct me if i am wrong

Many good preamps will already have resistors in series with the outputs, so no need to add extra ones.

PS this question comes up every few weeks - searching would find you the answer

Well, that might be so but the information is not accessible. Searching for 'mono' within Amplifiers leaves me with 101 pages of unrelevant information as there's no possibility to filter 'block', 'duo' etc. Ok? :sax:

So, your advise is to simply short the left and right output. Does this altered loading of the preceding CF have a sonical penalty or would this just be theoretical?

two 100-300 ohm resistors then short the outputs together.
i think the burrs shouldn't mind that, since they often drive 32ohm impedance's.

one 100-300 ohm resistor on each channel, then combining them after the resistor. i don't see any reason for that not to work. correct me if i am wrong

You are in favor of shorting the inputs of the pre amp (via resisters), if I'm reading you right Ruben?

You are in favor of shorting the inputs of the pre amp (via resisters), if I'm reading you right Ruben?

ground is common for both channels, so you can just combine both cannels after a 100-300ohm resistor on each channel.
dont bother about using pots ect because your load impedance is too low for it.
the reason to use the resistors is to avoid any harm to the pre amp from combining both channels.
so it is, 100-300 ohm resistor on each channel then after the resistors combine them, there you have mono.

Here it is. L and right are connected to the outputs of the 2 channels (it's cathode followers). Shown in 3 positions for clarity. In my case, cathode follower resistors are 30K, pot is 100k. (so it does not disrupt much the AC conditions).

IMG_20120906_090656-1.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.