Which is the best for output transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2003, 03:03 AM   #1
AD1865 is offline AD1865  China
diyAudio Member

Default Which is the best for output transformers

Is the double C-core transfomers or IE transformers? Someone said that C-core have good bass but IE have better mellifluence, because C-core increase winding length and hence an increase in leakage inductance and capacitance,so the detail in high frequence is less.Someone said C-core attenuate high frequence moderately so have good balance.
Another question :Is siliver wire better than copper?
Old 24th October 2003, 07:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
The only difference is that C-cores tend to have a higher mu, hence fewer turns can be used, and more bandwidth. Fewer turns also means a smaller core is necessary for the same power level.

But then, you can get GOSS (Grain-Oriented Silicon Steel, as opposed to generic transformer iron, NOSS (Non-Oriented ..)) in E-I shapes as well, so there is absolutely no difference.

Just as you can't read a book by its cover, so also you can't tell anything (except gross power level at some low frequency) just by looking at a transformer. It all depends on winding design and geometry.

Silver wire is ever-so-slightly more conductive than copper; economically, it still costs some 100? (I have no idea) times more than copper; by weight, it's more dense so there will be negative weight savings vs. resistance. Audiophoolically, it is the greatest thing since markers on the edge of a CD.

Tim
Old 24th October 2003, 08:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

As we can't really do an "all things being equal" type comparison, I'd say the definitve answer is, it depends. It depends on the design, the manufacturer, the materials, the insularion, the core material etc.

I have Lundahls and Lancrofts in C core and Peerless, Dyna, Fisher and Magnequest in EI and they're all good, but do sound different. The Peerless is probably the best all round (to my ears), and it's from the 50's, but doesn't suit my main amp Z-wise, so I use the big Lundahl.

So it just depends just what you're looking for I s'pose, so you'll just have to try a few, or take a risk on the one your gut will tell you is the one you'll prefer.
Old 24th October 2003, 10:19 AM   #4
AD1865 is offline AD1865  China
diyAudio Member

Default thanks for your good advices

May be I will try with Jensen IE transformers and Audio note
double C-core transformers with my tube preamplifier. It will cost so much that I will became a beggar.
Old 24th October 2003, 12:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Try Sowter of the UK for very good Output Transformers

I had some absolutely superb Ultra Linear Push Pull Transformers Custom Made for the Elan Audio Enigma Monoblock Amplifiers running KT 88's

Absolutely superb, but not cheap

Find details on the Enigma on www.elan.com.au
Old 25th October 2003, 02:15 PM   #6
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Audiophoolically, it is the greatest thing since markers on the edge of a CD.

Well, this is an old argument that has been hashed out on that "other" newsgroup. Usually the users of the term "audiophool" are those who have never done extensive or serious listening to great audio equipment. I'm no golden ear, but I can certainly hear the difference between copper wired components and those using silver wire or OCCC wire for that matter. My only problem with silver wire for audio is the jacked-up price of the stuff compared to the relative costs of the raw material. If you can afford silver, by all means try it.

C-cores usually are more compact than EI cores of same rating, and are generally not as leaky. The opinions as to which type sounds better are more or less equally divided. I'll go one better by saying at least one well-known tube audio expert I know believes that all of the higher quality well-known OPT's pretty much sound the same. There was an actual coparison in an issue of StereoSound magazine of several different manufacturers, but I don't know what the outcome was because I don't read Japanese!

John
Old 25th October 2003, 04:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Quote:
Originally posted by jlsem
Well, this is an old argument that has been hashed out on that "other" newsgroup. Usually the users of the term "audiophool" are those who have never done extensive or serious listening to great audio equipment. I'm no golden ear, but I can certainly hear the difference between copper wired components and those using silver wire or OCCC wire for that matter. My only problem with silver wire for audio is the jacked-up price of the stuff compared to the relative costs of the raw material. If you can afford silver, by all means try it.
I am a scientist. I see absolutely no possible physical reason why any person should be able to 'hear wire'. Face it buddy, if it were true, double-blind tests would show something. But they don't, so it's literally all in your head.

Tim
Old 25th October 2003, 07:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Best for zero NFB?

I use PP zero NFB amps, and would be grateful for any recommendations as to which OPTs retain their high frequency performance. My present (modded) Leak Stereo 20 is a bit down in the extreme treble.
Old 25th October 2003, 09:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I am a scientist. I see absolutely no possible physical reason why any person should be able to 'hear wire'.
No?

How does one undo a brainwash, I wonder?

Leaving aside personal preferences, I think it's safe to say that "scientifically" there is a difference between copper and silver conductors.

If they left it out of that scientific education or not, it's none of anyone's doing but it's definitely there for all to be seen and heard.

Cheers Joel II,
Old 25th October 2003, 10:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
My present (modded) Leak Stereo 20 is a bit down in the extreme treble.
I've reason to doubt the OPT is at fault as I've heard 20/20s that weren't lacking in the treble with their standard OPTs.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!