• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choosing the right transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I need some help here. I have a toroidal transformer tht has 200, 220, 260, 280 and 320 volt outputs. I need a 400-0-400 supply from here. How do I do this. Btw my primary is 230 volts. Can someone pls help me. Thanks

Hi

I assume the schematic you have shows a 400-0-400 transformer. In that case, you don't have to follow it blindly, just use a solid state bridge and the 280 volt winding.

for a 400-0-400 v supply, you are basically looking at 0-800, the most your traansformer can supply is 0-320. Im assuming you dont need a dual rail supply at +/-500v so you can use the 200 or 220 volt output and use a voltage doubling rectifier instead of a full wave/bridge rectifier.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm wondering if he was in fact looking for 800VCT AKA 400-0-400 in which case this transformer will not get him there, if OTOH he is looking for something close to the sort of output one could expect from 800VCT with a tube rectifier then the 320V tap with a solid state bridge rectifier might get him reasonably close. (or not)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
the first 2posts

jeffrey, are you there ?
time to see your schematic

I have a toroidal transformer tht has 200, 220, 260, 280 and 320 volt outputs.

I need a 400-0-400 supply from here. How do I do this.

I assume the schematic you have shows a 400-0-400 transformer.

In that case, you don't have to follow it blindly, just use a solid state bridge and the 280 volt winding.

Hi Guys, sorry i did not reply. My close fren had a stroke n a heart attack and was hard pressed with hospital visit n taking care of him. He is well and I have finished the power supply i mentioned earlier on.

Thank you so very much for all ur comments and ideas. Thanks again guys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.