• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube ID

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

I'm new here at diyAudio so Hi!

Wondering if anyone can tell me about this tube. It's a Philco 6SL7 chrome glass. Sorry I only have this 1 picture. It has a an octagon shape on the top of the valve.

Who made them, what era etc

Philco 6SL7.jpg

Thanks

It has a an octagon shape on the top of the valve.

A stop sign shape with the type number inside is a strong clue that the tube was made by RCA.

Sylvania will have the type number with the letters U.S.A. or sometimes USA under it. Later Sylvanias after the Philips / ECG connection are a wild card, anything goes including sweep tubes rewired remarked as 6B4GA's and 7027A's stuffed inside 6BG6GA's.

GE made tubes will have several dots etched into the glass under the type number.

A short fat octagon containing the type number on tubes from the 60's and 70's is Japanese, usually Hitachi, sometimes National / Panasonic. This tube is too old to be Japanese.

It is not uncommon to find tubes from the major manufacturers made by a compettitor. Philco, Motorola and other OEM's did not make their own tubes.

Thanks for that onfo. I got the tube for $20 nz and will have it in a few days. Cheers.
A stop sign shape with the type number inside is a strong clue that the tube was made by RCA.

Sylvania will have the type number with the letters U.S.A. or sometimes USA under it. Later Sylvanias after the Philips / ECG connection are a wild card, anything goes including sweep tubes rewired remarked as 6B4GA's and 7027A's stuffed inside 6BG6GA's.

GE made tubes will have several dots etched into the glass under the type number.

A short fat octagon containing the type number on tubes from the 60's and 70's is Japanese, usually Hitachi, sometimes National / Panasonic. This tube is too old to be Japanese.

It is not uncommon to find tubes from the major manufacturers made by a compettitor. Philco, Motorola and other OEM's did not make their own tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.