• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Source for transformers in Europe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
Where do you folks from european countris use to buy transformers for your tube projects? I don't really like the idea of bringing them from USA because of the near 30% increment in cost because of border dutties. And just add to that the high cost of delivering quite some kilograms across the atlantic...

I have found these

-http://www.tme.eu/html/EN/speaker-transformers-for-vacuum-tube-amplifiers-tgl-series/ramka_7135_EN_pelny.html
Katalog A

And these:
Magnequest Products - MQ Iron Listing/Pricing

What would you recommend? Where do you european users source your transformers?

Thank you,
Best regards

Well, if you are not too picky about them then you can order Hammond transformers from Mouser. If the order is worth over $80 total they ship it for UPS for free. I don't know about you, but for me that's a nice deal. UPS handles the import formalities so you only pay the VAT (separate bill).

Hi

Majestic Transformers in the UK are very good. They've custom built several one off power supply transformers and chokes for me. They guaranteed that their vacuum impregnated designs would run quietly, and so they have! Unlike those from several other suppliers, which have buzzed like a hornet's nest....

They supply a quotation, listing the specification and pricing. Turn around has been 1- 2 weeks. Just be sure you know exactly what you need- and specify it properly. I caused some, in retrospect justified, irritation by asking for several design changes before I finally ordered. Which is not to say that they won't help initially with points not obvious to the relative novice.

I've no experience of their signal- e.g. output- transformers

Paul N

I think that shipping from Canada won't allow to avoid border taxes. Thank you anyway.
anyway it is a great place to order capacitors, connectors, tubes I can highly recommend partsconnexion & madisound (for speakers) both

Do you know any Edcor european supplier?
I hardly doubted there are EU distributors, moreover Lundals are of a much better bandwidth pricier though. In case one is limited on a budget tubes definitely not the most appealing DIY approach from price/performance point of view. OT choice is critical matter to achieve satisfaction from tube project. Lundal, Tamura, Tango investment might make sense.

Just in case you are leaning towards SET some extra tips that might be interesting

PARAFEED TRANSFORMERS
MagneQuest DIY: Kurt Strain's COBALT SET 45 Parafeed Dual Mono Amplifier

Very nice (absolutely lovely actually) book
Amazon.com: Valve Amplifiers, Fourth Edition (9780080966403): Morgan Jones: Books

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.