• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Source for transformers in Europe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You have to in the UK :(
Unfortunately all European customs include shipping charges in VAT calculation if they are stated on the customs form (which for Edcor stuff would likely be the case).
For those who would otherwise consider Edcor I suggest looking again at enovaz.it as their prices are close for similar spec (will ship to EU only but Italian post seems to be one of the cheapest in Europe for <2kg)

I am happy to hear that you decided to order your trafos from a domestic (Spain) lab. It is the most wise. It is the less expensive solution.
There are not top secrets behind transformer construction. The conventional E-I laminates are made from CRGO (Cold Rolled Grain Oriented) Silicon Steel and used by 90% in all trafos. Only the output trafo core requires special laminates, from CRGO Silicon Steel again but of 0.35mm thickness. These cores are also called "M6" and the "E" laminates are separated from "I" ones. There is a gap, hidden into bobbin so no visible, between E and I laminates. M6 cores are not saturated so easy and you can discern a such core very easy. Laminates are very thin and by looking the core from above you can discern a separating line (gap) only in one side. That shows that all E laminates are placed from the one side of bobbin and the I from the other. In conventional cores E laminates are inserted from both sides of bobbin and at the end are inserted the I laminates from both sides to fill the gap remaining.
To not worried so much my brother from Spain :D, my Greek supplier sell the M6 (B = 1.7 Tesla) / 100W (350mA max primary current) output trafo for 162 Euro + 23% VAT of Greece = 200 Euro with open frame or black powder painted covers. For nickel covers, he charges additionaly 5 Euro per cover.
He also construct with the same method the chokes. A M6 / 10H / 310mA choke costs 50 Euro including 23% VAT.

Last edited:
I had a recommendation for OEP in Oxford UK from somebody who had some custom made transformers. He said the designer was very clever and easy to work with and came up with a great product. They supply a whole range of transformers to the usual UK online suppliers like Farnell, and hide behind a fairly anonymous image. They have a small range of tube transformers, like these:

OEP

Where I think their big strength may lie, however, is in the smaller audio transformers. They start cheap, as in the 1+1:1+1 600R to 600R at £10

Search Results | Farnell United Kingdom

I'm wondering, though, if they could make something more fancy with nickel etc. They may be making moves in that direction - here's a DAC O/P transformer with mumetal core listed under new products.

http://www.oep.co.uk/pdf/J30A03C.pdf

Andy

Last edited:
Well i hope this thread isnt too old..

Anway does anyone know if there is any similar Transformer maker like "Shinrock" ( https://www.ig-transformatoren.com/ ) for amps like Fender and Marshall style amps in Europe?

He doesn't take any orders anymore as he already has too many orders so...

His transformers really make the amp sound amazing so i'm kinda curious if there is anyone else that makes transformers like that.

Thanks!!!

Do you maybe have any experience with Tube town transformers?

The only thing i can see is that their transformers are made in Europe... I did email them but then didnt want to give any more information.

Valves Stuff

I found these as they make Drake replicas and prices are very good.

But what i'm most interested is the tone!!!

Right now i only need a good quality Main transformer but later will change OT also. I know a guy that makes Marshall style transformers but i'm not sure if its a replica those good old ones. He mostly claimed that most 50w marshall amps have the same main transformers and thats its not a big deal... Why do they sell then so many transformers for each specific model :) Yea nitpicker here... Just want to get something good.

Thanks!!!

Hi,
Try to contact Mr. Reinhöfer, he is verry friendly but a little bit busy:
Ausgangstrafos
German handcrafted transformers, might be what you are looking for

Sorry in the moment it´s not a good idea to order parts from Mr. Reinhöfer.
He dies some weeks ago (very,very sad story because he was so young).
But he has good friends and they try to keep his business running.
Give them some time and with some luck they will continue the good work of Gerd Reinhöfer.

Regards,
Hilmar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.