• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Source for transformers in Europe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Mostly interested in how do they sound in guitar amps.
Ritter is good quality and affordable for audio
Welter makes really good things for guitar-amps and prices are Ok. I used Welter trafos by myself for Instr.amps
Thöress is extraordinary in quality and in the price;) . They are more in the HiEnd - Audio.
BTB and FJZ are standard quality for low prices.
Tubetown has special transfos for instruments - prices are OK.

How do something sound?
It depends on so much things - its hard to tell.

Regards,
Hilmar

Well what i'm trying to say is that there are some transformers that have great build quality but arent so musical as others...

I also noticed that amplifiers using paper layer wound transformers have much better sonic and tonal characteristics than the modern era, nylon bobbin wound transformers.

As you know many people dont bother the tiny details but for me the tiny details are very important as thats what makes a huge difference in making a good tone to a great tone.

Btw do you maybe have Skype so we could talk easier? :)

Thanks!!!

Btw do you maybe have Skype so we could talk easier?

No, sorry i have no skype.
Me (60) and my PC (350Mhz AMD) are to old for this:eek:

Instr.amps are very special things and there owners too:)

Some time ago ihad to repair an AC30 for a friend.
I replaced some elkos and some coupling caps and the damn thing works again and sounds like new.
And that was the problem - the owner was not happy with my repair. It sounds not as before.
After a long debate i replaced the cathode-bypasscaps with smaller ones and also did on the coupling caps and my friend was happier with it.

Musicians have a very special feeling for the sound of their equipment and its not so easy to meet their imagination.

And for the sound of the trannies i can only say: Try it out.

Regards,
Hilmar

Whats your opinion on Main transfomers? How do they affect the amp?

I dont think they affect tone that much but they probably do affect the amp on their "break up character" based on voltages...

I can get a Main transformer for my Marshall 50w but i think its not made to the exactly same specs as the good old Marshall 50w amps that many musicians love. So i'm not sure how it will turn out. I think the company that makes this transformers is also making HIFI transformers...

Tone is what matters to me :)

Look at the website of WELTER or TUBETOWN. they have replicas of Marshall-trafos.
But if you want to have the original sound you have to buy a original Marshall.

Ithink a mains transformer has impact to the sound.
Maybe this has to do with compression effects (some use Rect.-tubes instead of ss-diodes for this).
Output-trannies are sometimes smallish to get early core-saturation.

But if you want to get better information about this try to open a new thread in the instruments-section of this wonderfull forum.
There are a lot of better knowing people then me.

Regards,
Hilmar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.