• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tuning Negative feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

So im wrapping up a build on a PP KT88 project and plan to power it up in a day or two.

My question is how do I best set the negative feedback when looking at the output on a oscilloscope?

My transformer manufacture said that I will need less with these particular transformers. I assume that is because the secondary impedance is less, in terms of what the speaker sees, than other units. How do I know what level of NFB is best? Also I assume that the less I can get away with the better.

Thank you

NFB should be part of the design process. The best amount of NFB is the correct amount for that circuit; less or more could degrade things.

I suppose you could set NFB with a scope by looking for ringing on a square wave and reducing NFB until the ringing disappears. Not a good method, as you can't distinguish between too much NFB and too little compensation.

If your transformer manufacturer actually told you what you think he told you then he was probably talking nonsense. The ratio between output source impedance and intended load impedance is set firstly by the output topology (e.g. pentode, UL, triode) and output valves, not the transformer. All the transformer can do is raise or lower both impedances, but the ratio is not set by the transformer.

To be blunt, you are asking the wrong question. If you are building from an existing circuit, then assume that the designer knew what he was doing and use whatever NFB he used. If it is your own design then you need to design in the level of NFB you require, then adjust the compensation (if necessary) to keep it stable.

Manufacturer may stated necessity of smaller feedback factor because of relatively large leakage inductance or low resonant frequency.

You probably should follow original schematic first and check it for stability without feedback first. If amp oscillates without feedback, you need to stabilize output stage first with zobel across anode <-> g2.

Then, repeat this procedure with feedback on.
If its unstable, try to lover feedback to 14dB or so.

PS. When posting question, please attach schematic and technical data sheet for components (in this case for transformer). We can't look inside someone's head for missing or incomplete info.

The M-O valve company claims that 14Db feedback is adequate. {GEC}
i have noticed a lot of current designers are only using 6db. and claim there amps sound better.
Unless you have very good out put transformers best, to keep feedback low you certainly would not want to use the amount shown in the circuit unless you are using the exact same output transformers.
Phil

My question is how do I best set the negative feedback when looking at the output on a oscilloscope?
Using a dual-channel oscilloscope, display the input and output signal of the amplifier without feedback. Use an audio signal generator as input. Find the frequencies where the output is opposite phase to the input, that is 180 degrees phase shift. You can apply as much NFB that the closed-loop gain is < 1 at this frequency. Otherwise it will oscillate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.