6KM8 amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2012, 09:43 PM   #1
engels is offline engels  Israel
diyAudio Member

Question 6KM8 [triple plate tetrode] amp

6KM8!!!

For some time I wanted to make something with this tube.
It's a triple-plate sharp cutoff tetrode (+ diode but who cares), datasheet suggests "complex-wave generation".

http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/hb...art_2/6KM8.PDF

I have never seen any circuit with this tube so I have no idea how it should work. Pictures? Someone?

I wanted to start with an oscillator, but now I think I'd make a guitar SE amp to see how it works first. The idea is to have the source signal split into two or three (with different voices/colors) and then get the three channels back together before the power stage.

Something like input -> 6KM8 -three parallel 6C4's or 6AB4's -> 6AQ5.

The choice of the other tubes is just what I have lying around and not your typical 13AX8 whatever.

I've found that the guitar amps I like usually have parallel preamp channels that make it sound wider. Less distortion, more fatness. So I hope with 6KM8 splitting the signal into three it should give it certain tone complexity.

Anybody has something to say?
I would really love to see some circuits with 6KM8 - if there are any documents.

Last edited by engels; 26th August 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 26th August 2012, 10:14 PM   #2
engels is offline engels  Israel
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

anyone?
Old 26th August 2012, 11:14 PM   #3
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

connect the 3 plates, 100ohm from screen to plate and use that tube as a triode.....
Old 27th August 2012, 12:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a simple enough project to breadboard, give it a try. You could use a 6ML8 triple plate triode with one common cathode to mix the 3 signals back in. About the only place you'll see a 6KM8 used is electronic organs. It caught my interest a few years ago and I did finally find a schematic. Now where did it end up...

Last edited by astouffer; 27th August 2012 at 12:39 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!