• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6KM8 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
6KM8 [triple plate tetrode] amp

6KM8!!!

For some time I wanted to make something with this tube.
It's a triple-plate sharp cutoff tetrode (+ diode but who cares), datasheet suggests "complex-wave generation".

http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/hb-3/receiving_tubes_part_2/6KM8.PDF

I have never seen any circuit with this tube so I have no idea how it should work. Pictures? Someone?

I wanted to start with an oscillator, but now I think I'd make a guitar SE amp to see how it works first. The idea is to have the source signal split into two or three (with different voices/colors) and then get the three channels back together before the power stage.

Something like input -> 6KM8 -three parallel 6C4's or 6AB4's -> 6AQ5.

The choice of the other tubes is just what I have lying around and not your typical 13AX8 whatever.

I've found that the guitar amps I like usually have parallel preamp channels that make it sound wider. Less distortion, more fatness. So I hope with 6KM8 splitting the signal into three it should give it certain tone complexity.

Anybody has something to say?
I would really love to see some circuits with 6KM8 - if there are any documents.

Last edited:
6km8_sockel.png

anyone?

Sounds like a simple enough project to breadboard, give it a try. You could use a 6ML8 triple plate triode with one common cathode to mix the 3 signals back in. About the only place you'll see a 6KM8 used is electronic organs. It caught my interest a few years ago and I did finally find a schematic. Now where did it end up...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.