• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DeathTrap400™ : : A Pretty Damn Good 300B Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice ! I happen to have some 813's lying around....How are you driving the 813's ?

Still working on that one.
Power supply almost finished but I'm still saving for the OPTs (or need to sell off some of my valves that are getting too valuable to actually use :rolleyes: ).
I'm tempted to cannibalize one of my other amps that has usable OPTs. Put them back when I get the parafeed set. Who knows.

Years ago I experimented with a trioded 813 driven by a trioded 6G6G/EF184 mu stage and liked the way it worked out. That encouraged me to continue the 813 project.
However, I read good things about the 6E5P here. Low distortion, high output (and cheap). If it's good enough for driving an 833, it surely can drive an 813.

About the filament regs: it took me some tinkering to get them to work with those monstrous 50W lightbulb grade filaments. Extra heavy (SMD) diode, small heatsink on the IC and chassis cooling for the whole board. In contrast to the ones for 300B filaments that don't need a heatsink at all.

Tom,
Are you aware of anyone using these boards to drive something other than a 300b ? Like...maybe an 811 or SV572 ?

I list a couple of output tube options here: Damn Good 300B SET driver circuit

I'm not aware of anyone using the DG300B driver board to drive anything other than a 300B, though. The 300B is tough to drive. It requires nearly 200 Vpp of clean signal swing. The input capacitance of the 300B is not friendly to drive either... I suspect that if my board can drive a 300B, it can drive just about anything. I'm sure looking over the common operating points for the tubes you mention will provide some answers.

~Tom

Thanks Tom - seems like it could be interesting. Looks like the driver board would work, and your PSU for the front end. I'd love to use the reg board; but unsure if I can fit higher voltage rated caps on it (I want to run my 813 at 900v or so).

So in summary:
Driver board (12BH7 version) driving a 45 interstage connected to 813
Your PSU and Reg for the front end....need to finalize the 900v supply

Sorry, Bekim. My subscription to this thread must have lapsed, so I didn't see your questions about the 21st Century Maida Regulator until now. The best way to reach me is via email (Contact Us on my website).

1. Is the same current output like in previous version?

Yes.

2. From your website, apparently are less components on the new version, what will be cost for parts per regulator, exclude heatsink & PCB?

If I recall correctly, the 21st Century Maida Regulator requires about $20-25 worth of parts to build.

3. On version 1.0; Is it possible to use LT3080 SOT-223 package instead 5-Lead DD-Pak?

No. The SOT-223 will not fit the DD-Pak footprint.

It's a nice build! 'Sceleratus' is quite a woodworker. The metal bits were done professionally (water jet cutting of the bronze and professional polishing). I hear from him on occasion and he still loves the amp.

Tom

Yep. The power transformer I specify provides 525 V DC at the nominal mains voltage. I regulate down to 400 V with the 21st Century Maida Regulator. You can easily design the regulator for 425-450 V if you desire. The transformer has no issue delivering the total of 225 mA required if you're using the XLS tubes.

Tom

Those who subscribe to my newsletter or follow Neurochrome on Facebook know already, but I thought I'd made it more widely known that I have decided to discontinue the DG300B once the current board stock runs out. I'm spread too thin and have decided to focus on my solid-state designs. I have 15 DG300B board sets left. You can find them here: Neurochrome DG300B Product Page.

Tom

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.