• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dropout in RTP3 phono stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My DIY version of Allen Wright's RTP3C has been showing some odd behaviour. From time to time, the right-hand channel of the phono stage becomes very faint. There is no crackling, popping or other noise - just sometimes all I can hear is the left channel.

I have swapped the single 6922 valve over for a spare one, with no improvement. Swapping the signal polarity at the source select doesn't make a difference; I have reformed almost all the soldered connections, and I have checked the continuity of the tonearm cable.

The phono stage is the left-hand portion of the schematic here: RTP3C circuit. It's such a simple circuit that I would have thought it would be easy to find a fault...

I hate intermittent faults! Has anyone else come across this kind of problem?

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited:
Hi Nelson,

As it happens, I posted an update to a different thread, since I had no responses to this one!

It turned out to be due to a partial failure of the shunt regulator for that channel, which resulted in a droop of the HT down to 260V after an hour or so. The current sink on the emitters of the input transistors means that a constant 240V is dropped across each 25K cathode resistor, so the HT voltage sag is enough to starve the input stage of voltage - hence the signal dropout.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I replaced the HPHV regulator with the much simpler Salas HPHV regulator, which is still working fine.

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.