Two stages EL34 power amplifier - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2012, 03:13 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi again
I made mistake. I wired pentodes in triode mode. Stupid me. Now I corrected it and amplification is 20 without GNFB and 16 with it. Not much but I can hear the difference. Sound seems to be more dynamic. As to my scope it is still piece of junk. Switches are worn out and need tapping to keep the waves from jumping up and down the screen. One of these days I'll tap the whole thing with the sledge hammer and fix it for good.
On the picture You can see where I made mistake.
Cheers again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _IGP1716.jpg (117.6 KB, 174 views)
Old 19th August 2012, 05:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hey voyciek,

Can you explain the necessity of the 1Meg/4,7u in the feedback loop?

750ohm at the Sg seems high, any reasons for that? In the ballpark of 100ohm normally works best.

NFB should be about 1db with the values you have given, 47ohm-4.7k. Some of you guys miscalculated with a factor of 10. You need for an acceptable result with UL wrt dist and Zout. Triodestrapped you shouldn´t need any NFB at all.

Last edited by revintage; 19th August 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 19th August 2012, 06:43 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You need for an acceptable result with UL wrt dist and Zout.
That went wrong. Should be:

"You need more NFB for an acceptable result with UL wrt dist and Zout."

Also you shouldn´t calculate for more than just over 30dB(ca 30x) gain in the SRPP LTP.
Old 19th August 2012, 11:32 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

There is a danger with your Bias circuit. If or when the wipers on the 100k pots go intermittent then you'll lose bias completely to the relevant EL34. I would swap the pot & the 100k fixed resistors positions. Ground the wiper with one end of the pot. The 100k resistor should then be split in two, choose values to give maximum bias and minimum bias dependent upon the pot wiper position. Other possible ideas are also available on here if you care to look around.
Old 19th August 2012, 12:41 PM   #15
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage View Post
Hey voyciek,

Can you explain the necessity of the 1Meg/4,7u in the feedback loop?
That was not answered. I've never seen that before. What is the purpose of the 1M/4u7 in the feedback loop, on the grid of the 12AX7?

thanks
--
Old 19th August 2012, 05:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongon View Post
That was not answered. I've never seen that before. What is the purpose of the 1M/4u7 in the feedback loop, on the grid of the 12AX7?

thanks
--
I see it this way in differential amplifiers but I don't why it is this way. I was hoping that someone can give me some idea what to do with them apart from sticking them where sun doesn't shine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spliter.jpg (21.5 KB, 120 views)
Old 19th August 2012, 05:18 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by payitforwardeddie View Post
There is a danger with your Bias circuit. If or when the wipers on the 100k pots go intermittent then you'll lose bias completely to the relevant EL34. I would swap the pot & the 100k fixed resistors positions. Ground the wiper with one end of the pot. The 100k resistor should then be split in two, choose values to give maximum bias and minimum bias dependent upon the pot wiper position. Other possible ideas are also available on here if you care to look around.
Thank You for suggestion. It makes sense to me. When I get some time I will rewire BIAS circuit his way. On diagram I wrote optional values in red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BIAS.jpg (45.1 KB, 121 views)
Old 20th August 2012, 04:30 AM   #18
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

i am not too bothered by it since the 4.7uf effectively makes it a short at ac...
Old 20th August 2012, 06:10 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately this amp needs a total redesign due to too low gain. The 12AX7 SRPP LTP hasn´t gain enough. Without GNFB 3H will be unacceptable.

The idea is good, but then you´ll need a driver like 416C and something like a sand mu-follower instead of SRPP.
Old 20th August 2012, 07:32 AM   #20
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

my thoughts too....could do a cascode type using 6dj8's instead...lots of fine examples in this forum.....

miles prower and Bandersnacth have such designs.....

Hide this!Advertise here!