New 6L6GC Project. DC -> LTP - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2012, 05:02 AM   #61
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

a thing of beauty, well done!!!!

I see you are using coax for the run from the rear rca sockets to the front volume control, ever considered using a thicker gauge copper core coax?

The center conductor looks a little on the thin side, rg-59?

Not that it matters much.

It just seems to be a bit of a waste to have so much copper bus running around and then use cheap grade coax for the run to the front volume control.

Last edited by freax; 5th December 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 5th December 2012, 05:08 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
a thing of beauty, well done!!!!

I see you are using coax for the run from the rear rca sockets to the front volume control, ever considered using a thicker gauge copper core coax?

The center conductor looks a little on the thin side, rg-59?
thanks very much! basically that coax was what i had on hand, i think it was from an old oscilloscope probe lead, so i figured it had to be well shielded. probably overkill. the conductors are indeed tiny but i can't imagine it would make a difference at the tiny signal current at the input..?
Old 5th December 2012, 05:15 AM   #63
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenj07 View Post
thanks very much! the conductors are indeed tiny but i can't imagine it would make a difference at the tiny signal current at the input..?
I wouldn't spend too much on getting some proper coax, but I work on the idea that if something makes a difference and I assume that it won't but it does then I have lost out on an opportunity to improve the sound quality, and for the cost of a few dollars worth of coax, thats a small price to pay for my peace of mind.

Nobody here I think will tell you that by going to a larger copper conductor will make a difference, its a personal preference of mine as I am moving all of my rca connections over to BNC and RG-6 Quad shield coax (not copper coated steel, pure copper.) which has an 18 AWG center conductor.

By removing one last slim remote possiblity of there being a change or reduction on the sound quality by going to BNC and RG-6 Quad for a few dollars I am ensuring that the signal gets the best possible chance to make it into that tube and be amplified.

I'm not the type of person to go out and buy $50,000 dollar cables, RG-6 Quad pure copper core is where I draw the line and I cut and crimp my own BNC RG-6 cables.

If I can prevent $50 from going to corrupt cable companies by promoting the use of home-made BNC and RG-6 quad then my work is done, $50 could get you 100 metres of rg-6 and 6 or more bnc rg-6 connectors.

But then again as you said its what you had laying around.

Last edited by freax; 5th December 2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 13th January 2013, 11:02 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

One of the Chinese 6L6GCR's blew. Now I've got a quad of JJ/Tesla 6L6GC's singing along and all is well. Still contemplating some global feedback but things are sounding pretty Ok without.

final schematic, using 1.5a slow blow fuses
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th January 2013, 01:05 AM   #65
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

i guess 460v is too much for a chinese 6l6gc, you can try the chinese El34 with that voltage...

Hide this!Advertise here!