• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 in UL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know, I was asking what difference if any by changing to UL.
It can have more output power, and low distortion at lower power levels.
But when the power level gets up near maximum, it has more distortion than a triode amplifier. Won't sound quite as sweet.
That's a good way to describe it.

So if you don't crank it up all the way, it dissipates more power on peaks, with reasonably low distortion at normal lower levels.. Tubes last longer...It's a compromise between heat and distortion.
The distortion is still nice compressed kind of distortion, it still sounds good.

But if you are cranking it way up all the time you are better off class AB, as far as buying tubes a lot.

Last edited:
No, not going pp. Low volume is all i do. Just wondering about sound quality.
At low volume it still has nice low distortion,
but it saves the tube life compared to triode.

When the screen grid is energized, it makes the plate less sensitive.
So, it may need a bit more signal from the preamp, but not a bunch more.

It comes down to how nice of a transformer is possible.
The transformer will make or break the sound quality.

Last edited:
I have a quick question about running a EL84 se in UL. The opt's are gxse15 5k with 40% taps. What will change? Its a rh84 design in triode.

Here is the way to think about UL...

In triode mode the screen's voltage goes up and down with the audio signal because it is connected to the plate. You don't get much power from the tube in this mode but in triode mode you get mostly 2nd harmonics and many people like the sound of second harmonics

In Pentode mode the screen remains at a constant high voltage. The tube can produce the most power in this mode.

In UL mode you are roughly half way between the two above modes.

It is not hard to install a 3-way switch to switch modes. Just do NOT operate the switch with the power on. Hide it inside the chassis

I know, I was asking what difference if any by changing to UL.

UL is simply one form of local negative feedback.

The gain of UL-connected output stage is higher than in triode mode, but a little lower than in pentode. This has effect to the sensitivity of the amplifier.

The output impedance in UL-mode is much lower than in pentode, but slightly higer than in triode. UL and triode can sometimes be used without GNFB but pentode never in Hifi purpose.

Maximum output power in UL is essentially higer than in triode mode and a little smaller than in pentode.

The minimum distortion depends on bias, load and individual tube in all modes, not so much on operating mode.

I have a quick question about running a EL84 se in UL. The opt's are gxse15 5k with 40% taps. What will change? Its a rh84 design in triode.

The RH84 circuit has the EL84 connected as Pentode. However, its plate to plate (AKA: shunt, Schade, plate to grid, local, partial, etc) feedback causes the EL84's plate curves to emulate a triode, with the power of a pentode. So, connecting it as UL will likely reduce power output.

Where are you finding this schematic? In the original RH84, grid 1 is cap coupled from the plate of the 12AT7 and grid 2 is connected to B+ via a 2.2 KOhm resistor (i.e. pentode connection). Grid 3 is permanently connected to the cathode inside the EL84, so there's no changing that one.

It's a misleading schematic as those are the only wires that cross without a connection. Note that there is no dot at the crossing of the lead from cathode to G3 and the lead from the 220 Ohm resistor to G1, so they are not connected.

Nothing misleading about the schematic.

It has been standard protocol for over 60 years that connections should not form a cross.

Connections should only form "T"s, and preferably designated by a dot at the connection point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.