• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pre-Amp For my Tubelab Simple P-P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I currently have an Aikido All In One populated with matched 6CG7's, the real ones with the shield.
I have started ordering parts to begin the build of my TL Simple P-P.
Will my 6CG7 Aikido be ok for driving the Simple P-P?
Should I change the drive tubes to something with less gain?
I love how it sounds as is, but I will be integrating the Aikido into the same chassis as the P-P to be a nice big pile of tubes so I want it to be right.

Thanks

If the simple PP has the same gain as the SSE you do not need a preamp with gain. I am running a 12BH7 driver in my SSE and it needs about 12 dB more gain and just built an Aikido with 6SN7 tubes, which are the octal equivalent of a 6CG7, so it has 20 dB gain... it is 6-9 dB too much, so not too bad... I plan on changing the driver stage (eliminating the electrolytic cathode bypass and maybe the CCS) which will lower amp gain a bit. So I agree a preamp with a zero gain buffer might be the best bet.

Bootstrapped 6v6 is a good sounding one two. Zero Gain.

+1 on the 6V6...I had mine running on a breadboard and it sounded terrific with the SSE, although my chassis ended up being about 1/4" too short...ARGH!!!

So now I am back to the aikido 6CG7/5687...

Next project is to get a good regulated PSU for the 6V6 and a proper chassis and get that up and running, it was THAT good.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So the general consensus is that I need to reduce my gain level.
OK.....so what low gain twin triode should I use in the driver stage of my Aikido to drop some gain off.
I will be using the volume control I currently have on my Aikido.

So the general consensus is that I need to reduce my gain level.
OK.....so what low gain twin triode should I use in the driver stage of my Aikido to drop some gain off.
I will be using the volume control I currently have on my Aikido.

Does the Aikido build manual still have the tube table(s) in it? Peruse the table and pick some low gain combos. They will most likely require a few R changes and possibly tweaking your B+ from where you are now.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It does.....However they all seem to have input gain around 19db.
I am open to looking at 8 & 9 series twin triodes I just don't know whick ones sound nice.
My 6CG7's are really nice.
If I have too much gain would I be better off maybe switching to a 100k Pot from my 50K?
Then I just can't turn the knob up all the way?

If I have too much gain would I be better off maybe switching to a 100k Pot from my 50K?
Then I just can't turn the knob up all the way?

That doesn't help........the higher load from the larger R pot makes life a little easier for your source, but may increase noise and you are still wasting gain since the pot will be turned way down.

Ideally you want the pot wide open/fully clockwise at your loudest listening session, since technically it doesn't make much sense to amplify the signal all over the place only to crank back the volume knob. If you never turn it up more than 12 o'clock say, you have too much gain (which is very common).

That's why unity gain preamps (buffers) are fairly popular around here. They provide enough current to drive long cables, feed a bi-amp system, etc. but don't provide any gain. You can get no gain with a passive pre (just a vol control and input selector) and sometimes this works fine, but if it cannot provide sufficient current FR can suffer.

Keep in mind that the potentiometers only subtract, both the 50K and 100K are roughly zero ohms when turned fully clockwise.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.