• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power Transformer Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to upgrade the power transformer in my S-5 Electronics K16ls kit amp but I have done away with the ss rectifier and replaced it with 2 paralled 6BY5GA tubes. The amp uses 8x 6005 tubes in ppp and 2x 5670 tubes. The info I got from S-5 about the stock power transformer is 120v primary, 180v secondary (actually measures around 200VAC) @ 250mA, 6v secondary @ 5.5A. I would like to find a power transformer that has slightly higher HV to account for the voltage drop across the rectifier tubes but I have had no luck finding something that will supply 225-230V @ 250-300mA. I don't want to go any higher on the HV and cook the 6005s. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

GE Data sheet gives a recommended operating point at 250V plate and G2, -15V G1, 70mA for a pair of tubes AB1 PP.

If the kit runs cathode bias, you can subtract the magnitude of the G1 voltage from the plate voltage.

You also drop a few volts across the OPT, so a B+ of 265-275 is reasonable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.