Dynaco low Power Amp - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2012, 03:09 PM   #31
stajo is offline stajo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Good to hear, congrats and thanks for the info!

Im also into tweaking the feedback but I'm a bitt puzzled about doing it on the 1k resistor since it also changes the working points of the splitter. My recent plan is to try to locate best value the feedback bypass cap with a scope and also set the splitters balance with the 47 k resistor first.

I might try with pot on the 1 k if that doesnt help. Thanks!

Staffan
Old 3rd September 2012, 05:05 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Stajo,
I departed from the schematic and separated the feedback loop from the cathode resistor. I used the 1k resistor to ground the cathode to the star ground NOT through the output transformer. Then used the feedback loop on its own. The design was nice in that it could use a single loop for the cathode and feedback. But I suspect it only works with those transformers.
Old 3rd September 2012, 05:54 PM   #33
20to20 is offline 20to20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2racer View Post
Stajo,
I departed from the schematic and separated the feedback loop from the cathode resistor. I used the 1k resistor to ground the cathode to the star ground NOT through the output transformer. Then used the feedback loop on its own. The design was nice in that it could use a single loop for the cathode and feedback. But I suspect it only works with those transformers.
Racer,

If you have a 560R feedback from OPT to cathode you have just paralleled with the 1K and now have @ 400R (without my calc.) as cathode resistance instead of the original 1K.
Old 4th September 2012, 05:17 AM   #34
stajo is offline stajo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2racer View Post
I separated the preamp tube cathode resistors and stuck with the 1k but didn't ground them threw the output secondary.
racer; where do you insert the feedback? Can you do a little scetsh of the input cathode couplings?

Best regards
Staffan
Old 4th September 2012, 06:11 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hey,

You seem a little lost here!

This way you can adjust NFB anyway you want it, without messing up the working points.

Use Rfb to adjust.

Working points are per the original circuit.

Also note, assymetry from the original driver signal must be adjusted. Make R19 220k and use a 100k trimmer for R21.
Attached Images
File Type: png DYN.png (79.9 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by revintage; 4th September 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 5th September 2012, 05:19 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

If you donīt want a trimmer, substituting R19 with 240k will give you a theoretical assymetry in the ballpark of 0,3dB. If you keep the original 270k, assymetry will 1,5dB. But no worry, it is mainly 2H that is affected.

Last edited by revintage; 5th September 2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 7th September 2012, 02:17 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Revintage,

Why are your R19 and R20 different? The original schematic shows both at 270k?
Old 7th September 2012, 05:15 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

To get rid of driver assymetry! See post #35 and #36. Gain of anode follower U5 must be adjusted for exactly 0dB gain. Not possible with 270k.

Last edited by revintage; 7th September 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 8th September 2012, 01:36 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

OK Revintage,

I understand the change to the schematic. But how do I measure the adjustment? Is this like an AC balance adjustment?
Old 8th September 2012, 02:10 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

OK Revintage,

I understand the change to the schematic. But how do I measure the adjustment? Is this like an AC balance adjustment? Do you want the AC voltage at the plates of U4 and U5 to match?

Hide this!Advertise here!