• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ganged output transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking of a way to get cheaper output transformers for a project.
Since their job is to impedance match the speaker, what happens if we transform the impedance twice or even three times but putting transformers in series?
for example. a 12v transformer is a ratio of 10:1. so three of them in series would be 1000:1.
if we applied that to an 8ohm speaker it would give a plate resistance of 8000ohms.
Is there a flaw in my theory?

Hi!

Putting two transformers in series would most likely give very unpredictable results. You should select a matching near the value that is required for the output stage.

Decent output transformers are not expensive. Or salvage some transformer from an old radio. That would give muc better results than arbitrarily ganging two power transformers together

Thomas

Yes yes i know, use the proper part for the job. I am.
I'm merely thinking out loud on a theory.
by the calculations a 120v primary and a 5-6v secondary would match a 8ohm load with roughly 3300-4600ohm impedance, with only one transformer. (obviously a power transformer is not designed properly for audio applications. again I know this.)
So two transformers in series to give 5-6v out would do the trick, technically speaking...

Sorry to be blunt, but if you don't understand transformers what facts do you have to base your thinking on?

Things you need to learn about include: magnetic saturation and air gaps, magnetic hysteresis, impedance transformation, primary inductance and LF response, leakage inductance and HF response, stray capacitance and HF resonances. Once you can begin to understand these issues then you can begin to think meaningfully about transformers.

I never understood air gapped. transformers are a mysterious beast.
so put primaries in series and secondary's in parallel and use push pull output.

Your goal is to understand this plot: File:permeability by Zureks.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try to read and understand this:
Magnetic field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(electromagnetism)

You think you can achieve that ? It is not that hard when you get the deal with fluxes and flux densities.

Be blunt, I'm an ignorant hacker just wanting to learn.
My thinking is solely based on pure ratios.
I know this idea isn't viable, or it would have been done 1000 times before.

there is more, a lot more....once you have the ratio all figured out, then you have to find out iron power handling, core saturation and frequency response...

power transformers are way too easy, they are only asked to work on either 50 or 60 hertz, sometimes 400.....

working on hacking the output transformers requires a lot of study.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.