diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Replacing capacitors on Audio Research D40 power amp. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/217040-replacing-capacitors-audio-research-d40-power-amp.html)

audiojack123 30th July 2012 03:42 PM

Replacing capacitors on Audio Research D40 power amp.
 
Hello everybody,
My Audio Research D40 power amp developed a nasty hum and all of my research seems to be pointing towards of replacing the power supply capacitors. This amp has four 400uf 450wvdc mepco/electra brand. Any suggestions of what brand is best and where to buy them. Or if anybody out here has the same power amp. I love this amp and would like to keep it going.
Thanks in advance to anybody with comments.

kevinkr 30th July 2012 04:36 PM

:cop: Moved to Tubes / Valves where I expect this will get a little more attention since it is an amplifier and not an analog source. :D

audiojack123 30th July 2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinkr (Post 3109364)
:cop: Moved to Tubes / Valves where I expect this will get a little more attention since it is an amplifier and not an analog source. :D

Thank you, I did. Sorry I do not how to remove the old posting. How do I do that? or do I just leave it there? Thanks again for your patience

Jim McShane 30th July 2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiojack123 (Post 3109313)
Hello everybody,
My Audio Research D40 power amp developed a nasty hum and all of my research seems to be pointing towards of replacing the power supply capacitors. This amp has four 400uf 450wvdc mepco/electra brand. Any suggestions of what brand is best and where to buy them. Or if anybody out here has the same power amp. I love this amp and would like to keep it going.
Thanks in advance to anybody with comments.

Finding top quality replacements should not be a problem in terms of electrical performance, but the physical fit issue has to be right. Modern "snap-in" caps will certainly fit in the space as they are far more compact than the originals, but I can't tell you for sure if the electrical connections will fit on the board without some modifications.

I'd also replace the stock diodes with current fast/low noise pieces - whenever I replace old caps with new I like to be sure the diodes are fresh.

Drop me a note if you'd like som specific cap suggestions.

audiojack123 31st July 2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McShane (Post 3109809)
Finding top quality replacements should not be a problem in terms of electrical performance, but the physical fit issue has to be right. Modern "snap-in" caps will certainly fit in the space as they are far more compact than the originals, but I can't tell you for sure if the electrical connections will fit on the board without some modifications.

I'd also replace the stock diodes with current fast/low noise pieces - whenever I replace old caps with new I like to be sure the diodes are fresh.

Drop me a note if you'd like som specific cap suggestions.

Thanks Jim.... Do you have this amplifier? If you do, have you done any type of modifications to improved the overall quality? Also, I am new to this forums/blogs business if allowed, where do you usually get your parts. Thanks again


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:39 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2