Yaqin MS-22b Phono Amp

Hi Guys
I have a Yaqin MS-22b phono stage with a hum. I have shorted out the input phonos and the hum is still there. I disconnect the input leads from the circuit boards easy to do because of the connectors and shorted both pins of the connectors on the board and the hum stopped. I examined the cable from the inputs to the board and it is 2 pair unscreened. Do you think that this should be screened cable and the screen earthed. Any other ideas would be welcome. I have tried all the normal things moving it around, changing cables etc. This last test was done using a different amplifier. You only notice the hum when there is no music playing.
Many thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are the RCA jacks isolated from the chassis? If they are not isolated this creates a ground loop that would be responsible for the hum you hear. Twisting should normally be sufficient if inside a metal chassis and not near the power transformer and choke, otherwise low capacitance shielded cable can be used.

Hi

I checked the RCAs both input and output and they are insulated from the metal case. There is also an earth terminal and this is also insulated from the metal case. I disconnected the earth from the board and desoldered an earth that looks like it came from the transformer - none of these worked the hum was still there. I also wrapped the input cables in metal foil to simulate a screen and earthed that but the hum was still there. Does anybody have any other ideas?
Many thanks

Hi
Following on the the above.
1) Used shorted phono plugs on the input - hum still there.
2) Disconnected the inputs from the PCB using the on board connectors.
3) Made up some flying leads with a socket on one end and connected it to the PCB on board connectors - hum all but gone - only the noise you would expect from a cartridge turned up full.
4) After a lot of head scratching traced the leads back to the phonos and found that both the earth/ground L & R were connected together. Split these to make two seperate circuits - Hum gone - same niose as above.
5) Connected my input phono leads shorted them out and hum gone. Connected up my DIY SUT and hum returned - so now trying to sort that out. Pretty sure it will be a ground loop - but it does take time.

Hope this helps

Please let me know.

Regards

Hi

Reference my previous post. If you disconnect the leads from the input phonos to the circuit board by using the PCB board connectors. You will see two pins on each connector. With the volume control on the amp turned up with a small screw driver short each out. Just like putting two shorted phono plugs in the input sockets. The hum should disapear. This means whatever is casing the hum is further down the line. After reconnecting the PCB connectors I found the problem.

As I said I tracked it down to the common earth returns on the input sockets as soon as I split these making effectively two seperate circuits the hum went away.

Hope this helps

As mentionned above, I just tried to disconnect the 2 input sockets from the pcb and tried the pre amp like this.

Unfortunately, the humm is still here and even slightly louder... :(

Here is the schematic of the pre amp:
image011.jpg

Guys,

Got it !

If you look at one of the pix I sent, there is a ground yellow cable that is going from the pcb ground to the chassis.

I disconnected it from the chassi and that's it: no more hum !!!! ;-) (so happy now)

I don't know why the hell YAQIN put this cable here !

However, I still have this "poc" in my speakers when I m changing channels from aux to phono...

Steph

Last edited:
Hi

What I actually ment was that if you look at the input phono connections your'll see that the ground/negatives are soldered together. I split these apart from each other and the hum was gone.

I tried disconnecting the wire to the chasis but in my case it did not make any difference.

Still trying to trace the source of the hum from my DIY SUT - you wouldn't think it would be so difficult. However trial and error I suppose.

Regards