Yaqin MS-22b Phono Amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2012, 07:04 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

So basically, you removed the ground from the 2 original (black) cables on the input and connected the ground directly from the input RCA to the chassis ?
Old 9th August 2012, 07:28 PM   #12
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

No, the opposite of that! The incoming phono cable should not be connected to any chassis anywhere. It should connect to the preamp circuit, and use whatever ground arrangements that has. The RCA sockets should be isolated from chassis so only grounded via the internal cable and the preamp circuitry.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

humm ok, any particular place where I could solder then the input ground on the circuit?

A photo of your circuit maybe ?
Old 9th August 2012, 07:47 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

What do you mean by input ground? Are you asking about how to connect the incoming phono signal to the circuit ground? If so, I have already answered that - it goes to the circuit ground, not the chassis.

If you are asking about the circuit ground then that depends on your circuit, not my circuit!
Old 9th August 2012, 08:21 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

As mentionned above, I just tried to disconnect the 2 input sockets from the pcb and tried the pre amp like this.

Unfortunately, the humm is still here and even slightly louder...

Here is the schematic of the pre amp:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th August 2012, 08:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

The signal return (or screen) of the phono cable should connect to the bottom end of R11/R14 as that is the point which sets the input signal ground reference.

If wired incorrectly it is possible that C15 injects ripple at this point.
Old 9th August 2012, 09:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Guys,

Got it !

If you look at one of the pix I sent, there is a ground yellow cable that is going from the pcb ground to the chassis.

I disconnected it from the chassi and that's it: no more hum !!!! ;-) (so happy now)

I don't know why the hell YAQIN put this cable here !

However, I still have this "poc" in my speakers when I m changing channels from aux to phono...

Steph

Last edited by SDIESEL77; 9th August 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:04 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Yaqin MS-22b Phono Amp

Hi

What I actually ment was that if you look at the input phono connections your'll see that the ground/negatives are soldered together. I split these apart from each other and the hum was gone.

I tried disconnecting the wire to the chasis but in my case it did not make any difference.

Still trying to trace the source of the hum from my DIY SUT - you wouldn't think it would be so difficult. However trial and error I suppose.

Regards
Old 11th August 2012, 07:34 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegwill View Post
Hi

What I actually ment was that if you look at the input phono connections your'll see that the ground/negatives are soldered together. I split these apart from each other and the hum was gone.

Regards
I'll try today and will let you know the result on mine

Hide this!Advertise here!