Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2013, 03:06 PM   #151
lew1sss is offline lew1sss  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am thinking of putting the PH16 in one of these High Quality Enclosures for Audio, DIY Hi-fi & Electrical projects

and drilling the top so the tubes are exposed, would that be enough ventilation with the side vents for the circuit?
Old 11th November 2013, 03:06 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

One last thing... I'm still giving the Denon a chance so I'm not writing it off just yet.
Old 12th November 2013, 04:48 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew1sss View Post
I am thinking of putting the PH16 in one of these High Quality Enclosures for Audio, DIY Hi-fi & Electrical projects

and drilling the top so the tubes are exposed, would that be enough ventilation with the side vents for the circuit?
I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I would leave the tubes inside, they don't glow much, and putting a wire mesh above them for ventilation. That sure is a nice looking case.
Old 15th November 2013, 03:59 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Les, OMG!

The Denon DL110 cartridge finally broke in and it's amazing! It has buckets of detail and for lack of a better word, musicality. It's everything the other reviewers said it was.

I guess the best thing about it is that with the Audio Technica AT120E I would sit there analyzing the sound, with the Denon, I just enjoy the music.

Steve
Old 16th November 2013, 10:58 PM   #155
Hi_Q is offline Hi_Q  England
diyAudio Member

Hi Steven, I assume this is through the MS22-LB. Given the full works on the input it will deliver all you want. Spending out on the Cart would have been wasted feeding into the original MS22-B. Enjoy!
Old 17th November 2013, 03:40 AM   #156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Q View Post
Hi Steven, I assume this is through the MS22-LB. Given the full works on the input it will deliver all you want. Spending out on the Cart would have been wasted feeding into the original MS22-B. Enjoy!
Yep!, the MS22-LB is the heart of my system. I couldn't even think of using anything else. Thanks to you!
Old 26th November 2013, 07:21 PM   #157
lew1sss is offline lew1sss  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

thanks for everyones help on here, especially Hi-Q for the diagrams, i may have a go at that next. i am building the tubes4hifi PH16 and have set up a thread here Building the VTA, tubes4hifi PH16 Phono Stage
Old 11th January 2014, 12:22 AM   #158
Hi_Q is offline Hi_Q  England
diyAudio Member

Still getting some good feedback from DIY peeps doing the conversion.
The latest :-
One word sums up what I am listening to , that word is WOW , that sounds so amazing , I always thought that the phono pre amp in my Arcam AVR 600 amp was good but it is not a patch on what I am hearing now from this Yaqin box of tricks , the transformation is simply superb , all credit of course goes to you for all the work you put in to redesigning the original circuit , the rest of the day and night are going to be spent listening to vinyl with a huge grin on my face , I've never heard my records sounding this good , you are a genius and I thank you so much for taking the time to help me complete this project . I bet you have made a lot of other people happy too who have also carried out the modification to their amps . Thanks so much Les
I can't find the blushing emoticon but yes, I feel good for helping another person get the best out of their MS22-B or should that be MS22-LB :-)

BTW we did have a small problem with this conversion and that was "woofer Slap" for want of a better description. This was solved originally by taking the 22uF smoothers to 68uF. On this unit we had to go to 100uF so I am suggesting that this is done on any future conversions, just in case. The RS Components (UK) part number for the 100uF 350V cap is 715-2287, and is the same size as the 68uF so will fit just as easily.

Last edited by Hi_Q; 11th January 2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Added latest component change.
Old 12th January 2014, 05:38 PM   #159
diyAudio Member

After some retubing on my Yaqin 13S, the sound has gotten even better from the 22LB. The point being that the output from the 22LB was not fully realized. I would suspect that a person would have to use very good preamps and amps to consider the 22LB a bottleneck., and then I'm not sure that it would be the weak point.

I have to tell you that a vinyl playback system is extraordinary in what it can do. Everything we hear comes from a mechanical device (cartridge) and it seems that the electronics to amplify the signal is the bottleneck. At least that is what I have discovered by upgrading to the 22LB. I don't know if it can get better than the 22LB, but I will say that compared to what came before it, there is no comparison.

Less than a year ago I got back into vinyl and used an ART phono preamp with a digital amp. I thought it sounded very good. I suppose it did when compared to what's on the market within reasonable prices. I went with a EL34 tube amp (Yaqin), the Yaqin 22B converted to the 22LB, and some retubing and now my system is a completely different animal. I've heard some really good (and expensive) equipment and I have to say that the sound I get is close. I suppose that in a direct A/B comparison, the expensive stuff is better, but not by that much In my opinion, at least not where it matters. The imaging and soundstaging is amazing.

Les, I don't think any amount of praise for your help would be too much.
Old 12th January 2014, 07:17 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

Hi all. I registered not so long ago to be able to see the attachments. I'm registered in quite a few international forums all over the globe. I specialize in Chinese audio. This unavoidably includes modding. I'm not an electronics engineer unfortunately (call it a late calling) but I can make and read drawings. I don't understand everything but I'm learning as I go. Ive been doing this for a couple of years now (well, in fact I've been tinkering all my life) and my repertoire has grown from simple speakers, to turntables, to tubeamps, to dacs to phonoamps. I have also about 30Y of experience in high end audio and I know how to listen and what makes great audio.

So, about the MS22B. I've just modded my 2nd one. A gen2 model, my first was a gen1. I've been searching very long for possible mods all over in several languages. And at first I didn't find much, or rather silly things that don't really solve anything. Or really complicated exaustive solutions that really are in no proportion to the $200 selling price. My goal is to be able to sell it (semi-)commercially. That means less is more. Less work is more profit. And usually in audio: less electronics is more music. Yes I am a firm believer in minimalism. And, sorry to say, but I find the les mod is not more but to much (had to work in that pun ).

So, I went to work on my own for the first one I did. I thought it can't be that difficult. So I got to it. The solution was far simpler than you think. The hum is caused by bad grounding and bad cable screening. I took out the extra ground wires on the gen1, bypassed the traces and soldered shielded milspec wired and soldered it as close to the tubes as possible. That means the input goes straight on the socket-pin. Problem solved.

Then I put in some better caps (Sprague VitQ 0.1 and 0.68), some Miniwatt ECC83's and you have a unit that can hold it's own against units far, far more expensive. I used it with a Koetsu Urushi on an MC-tranny and it totally shines.

I'm not going to post diagrams or detailed photo's. I don't want others to take credit for my work. I've seen that happen before. But I can tel you that there is a simpler way to do it than adding tubes and totally changing the layout.

Hide this!Advertise here!