EICO 666 Tester Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2012, 03:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EICO 666 Tester Help

hi, newcomer in here. I consider myself as newbie as I don't have any electronics background and only know a little bit (well I know how to read schematic, soldering, and a little bit basic theory).

well, I just got my first tube tester. it's the 'satan-tester' Eico 666.
cosmetically, it's not in pristine condition. the tube chart was gone, lot of scratches, the case was bended on some parts. but the price was quite cheap I think, $66,67 including 610 adapter, although I must paid almost $180 including postage and customs taxes (it's 3/4 from my monthly salary )

anyway, I had problem with the tester.
when I push LINE button, the neddle only move a little bit if not move at all, even after I turn LINE ADJ pot.
the tester can test tubes though. I got result by testing some tubes, eventhough I'm not too sure the results were accurate enough.
I tested some EL84, and some of the result were too low I think since those tubes sounds ok on my amp. and some other EL84 that I already use quite often, scored high test (around 120 or more).
so, I think the test result isn't accurate, but the tester can test tubes.

but I can't get any result when testing rectifier. I tested some 5Y3 and all I can get either the neddle will move very hard to the left when I test for leak or move hard to the right when I do merit test.

anybody know what's wrong with the tester? and is there any way I can make this tester good and reliable again?

thank you for any comment, help, or suggestion.
Old 27th July 2012, 04:16 PM   #2
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I suggest getting a service manual or operator's manual. A schematic would be handy as well. Those things combined would probably tell you how to calibrate the tester. That'll tell you for sure if something is broken or if it's just slightly out of calibration.

~Tom
Old 27th July 2012, 04:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

There's a ton of info on the 666 and 667 around. You can get a manual and tube chart for the 667 on BAMA- the lever settings are the same, just ignore the last ones that cover higher pin numbers than the 666 has sockets for. This will make more sense if you read a manual! Note that the Eico charts are full of errors and oddities concerning the levels and way some tubes are tested, particularly the 12A?7 series like 12AX7 and 12AT7. Also, Google Tonelizard.
Old 5th August 2012, 08:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

hello, thank you for your response.
I have download manual from BAMA site, I will study the manual, and maybe I can find something.

Hide this!Advertise here!