Why can't I build my own ARC LS-5 or CJ PV-12? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2012, 02:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Why can't I build my own ARC LS-5 or CJ PV-12?

Why can't I build the preamps I can't afford? The schematics and pictures of the circuit boards are available on the internet. What would be the stopping point? Sourcing correct transformers?

This is a serious question from a beginner.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 26th July 2012, 02:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

As far as the pv-12 the cap are the only thing special but you can use good polyprop or even teflon for big bucks . The circuit is not much more than text book the power supply regulator is advanced and was desigened about 30 years ago . the store will soon have great boxes to put them in . As for the ls-5 have not loked at the schematic .
Old 26th July 2012, 03:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default ARC LS-5 schematic

Available from ARC DataBase website: ARCDB - LS5

It is a completely balanced circuit with all XLR connectors with no RCA single ended connector at all.

preamp schematic:
Click the image to open in full size.

power supply schematic:
Old 26th July 2012, 03:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triodethom View Post
As far as the pv-12 the cap are the only thing special but you can use good polyprop or even teflon for big bucks . The circuit is not much more than text book the power supply regulator is advanced and was desigened about 30 years ago . the store will soon have great boxes to put them in . As for the ls-5 have not loked at the schematic .
Thanks Triodethom. Does that mean I won't be able to duplicate the power supply regulator? What about the transformers? Any other problem with trying to build one?

Thanks...
Jim
Old 26th July 2012, 03:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directdriver View Post
Available from ARC DataBase website: ARCDB - LS5

It is a completely balanced circuit with all XLR connectors with no RCA single ended connector at all.

preamp schematic:

power supply schematic:
I don't know if I want balanced or not, I don't really understand it. But is there anything about this preamp a rookie like me should not be able to duplicate with patience? What about the transformers?

Thanks a lot...
Jim
Old 26th July 2012, 05:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

There is nothing special or particularly worthwhile about either of these units. You can build better sounding clones by using better passive components and in particular a good quality switched attenuator for volume.

Nothing special about the transformers either. Any decent R-core with higher power rating will sound better than what the originals used.

Last edited by analog_sa; 26th July 2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 26th July 2012, 06:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Jim , you can do anything you set your mind to do.

Your question is the very question I had asked myself when I first started out many many many moons ago and it is the very same question that drives my passion for this hobby back then and today !!!!

Just sayin'.

jer
Old 26th July 2012, 01:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
Thanks Triodethom. Does that mean I won't be able to duplicate the power supply regulator? What about the transformers? Any other problem with trying to build one?

Thanks...
Jim
Sorry if I was misleading . the regulator not that hard to build built one from the schematic 27 years ago it not hard. If you can build off a schematic no problem . I like the aikido at tubecad.com much better than the two you chose even the cj act series is not much of a circuit just very expensive parts . The Aikido has circuit boards for sale making it a lot easier for a first time builder . The store here at diyaudio has boards for power supply and soon boxes to put the pre in .
Old 26th July 2012, 02:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
But is there anything about this preamp a rookie like me should not be able to duplicate with patience?
My question to you is that why are you so set on these two models? Just curious....
Old 26th July 2012, 03:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Don't be set on performance by the cost of these two. The circuitry is mediocre at best.

Hide this!Advertise here!