• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Scheme for SE amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm new in building tube amplifiers and can't find good scheme for making a SE class A amp with approx. 10-20W per channel. I apologise if a thread like this already exist, but I can't find nothing similar.
Hope you can help :)

Last edited:
Do you need 10W or 20W? There's a huge difference - a 300b amp should get you 10W and there are PLENTY of schematics for that.

20W is going to be either parallel SE or transmitting tubes you probably don't want to deal with because of high voltages (211, 845, 813 etc).

These are typical choices - what speakers do you want to drive?

Hi!

As Andy wrote: try to settle for less power. 10-20W in SE starts to get more difficult and costly. Not recommended for a beginner.

There are several SE amp schematics on my blog:

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.de/2012/06/making-of-se-6cb5a-amplifier-circuit.html
VinylSavor: Single Ended Amplifier Concept, Part 7
VinylSavor: Single Ended Amplifier Concept, Part 4
VinylSavor: Single Ended Amplifier Concept, Part 2

If it has to be in the two digit power range:

VinylSavor: Making of a 211 Amplifier, Part 1: Planning

Bets regards

Thomas

Last edited:
Not sure about power, I'm going to build own hi-fi system, and speakers aren't made yet. It must be loud enough for listening in 20 square meters (31000 square inches) big room. I'm thinking about some fullrange speakers, how sensitive they should be?

Vinylsavor, thanks for the links

I like the Mark Audio Alpair full range speakers. Easy to build a box - no crossover to worry about. they are very musical. I have the Alpair 10 and the new Alpair 12 is getting great reviews. For those you need 10 watts. For the Fostex types more like 5-6 watts. Horns even less, but hard to construct and not everyone likes them.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.