$16,000 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2012, 09:05 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I think in the whole equation the tube used is of little importance...>>

I wouldn't agree with that at all. I only use DHTs because they sound better right through the amplification chain, not just as a 45/2a3/300b output tube. In fact they're even more important in the first stages than in the output. You're not going to get these tubes in commercial designs (with one or two exceptions) so the argument is theoretical. But for the constructor it's important because we do have choices, so it's a point of view worth defending.

Andy
Old 25th July 2012, 10:03 PM   #32
zlast is offline zlast  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zlast Send a message via MSN to zlast Send a message via Yahoo to zlast
Default Ongaku

Ongaku are completely hand made...the guy makes his own capacitors...the transformers are hand made using silver wire....they are works of art...
Old 25th July 2012, 10:27 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlast View Post
Ongaku are completely hand made...the guy makes his own capacitors...the transformers are hand made using silver wire....they are works of art...
Well, I agree the Ongaku is a work of alectronic art made by top class expert engineers, and are priced according maybe in excess of $80K or more.

A huge work for nothing, a pity there is no more USA NOS 211 tubes to use on it, the owner is forced to use chinese 211 that are cheap, sound so so and are unreliable!!
Kondo Japan could do a Ongaku GM70 version, a more reliable tube ready avaliable.
Old 25th July 2012, 10:40 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
A huge work for nothing, a pity there is no more USA NOS 211 tubes to use on it, the owner is forced to use chinese 211 that are cheap, sound so so and are unreliable!!
Well, if the Psvanes don't float your boat, there are 211's from KR Tubes and Sophia Electric for approx. 700 EUR/pair, and there may be other options for the discerning owner.

jeff
Old 26th July 2012, 12:03 AM   #35
popilin is offline popilin  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwurlde View Post
An Audio Valve Eclipse (Eklipse) preamplifier:
Click the image to open in full size.
...That's right boys & girls, $4,500!
Good God!

Now, I can probably see where $1,000 would get spent making such a thing, but for the outstanding $3,500.... someone please help me here!

Andy
Nice, sober, inputs and outputs handled by relays, Siemens/Epcos MKPs, 12AU7/ECC82.
Here something similar, I sell at $ 1000.
The Germans can afford.
Viva 12AU7/ECC82 !
Old 26th July 2012, 12:20 AM   #36
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There are still plenty of NOS American 211 and VT-4C if you know where to look and are willing to pay to play. Not likely much of an issue for anyone who can afford to buy one of these amps, even used ones go for pretty big money, and don't believe for a moment that anyone who purchased one of these amps paid list price..
Old 26th July 2012, 12:21 AM   #37
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlast View Post
Sadly Kondo San died a few years back so he isn't making those lovely silver foil caps in this world any longer..

The entire amp was a work of art, you should see the inside of a Kondo product to appreciate the care that went into the design and construction of these things.. Superlative..
Old 26th July 2012, 12:28 AM   #38
popilin is offline popilin  Argentina
diyAudio Member

I think that if Kondo San still lived, he would be here discussing with us about the Ongaku.
Old 26th July 2012, 03:13 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
There are still plenty of NOS American 211 and VT-4C if you know where to look and are willing to pay to play. Not likely much of an issue for anyone who can afford to buy one of these amps, even used ones go for pretty big money, and don't believe for a moment that anyone who purchased one of these amps paid list price..
Hard to believe this, these tubes may be fake NOS from Shuguang.
Shindo had a GM70 amp for around $17K, a competidor from Kondo would be good to the custumers.

Last edited by FullRangeMan; 26th July 2012 at 03:16 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!