Separate Filament and B+ Switches - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2012, 11:17 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Nonsense. In most cases one switch with no sequencing at all is the correct way to power an amp. If sequencing is needed (rare with normal audio valves) then it should be automatic. If you are "afraid" then use proper interlocking so the switching is failsafe. Two switches is either a DIY fad (it's a free world) or a marketing ploy for ignorant people. Why not add a third switch for the input signal?
I do not like to apply the grid & B+ with the cathode yet cold, the usual 30 seconds is ridiculus short time, cathode takes various minutes to reach the proper work temperature.

The Almarro 318 6C33 SET had a too short delay, but others 6C33 amps had nothing, they apply the HV supply just after the power on.
In these hard conditions the 6C33 last few hours and they blame the factory quality control.
Old 24th July 2012, 11:28 PM   #32
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If a delay is needed, then of course it should be the right delay.
Old 25th July 2012, 03:41 PM   #33
popilin is offline popilin  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Here in Argentina, valves are scarce and expensive.
I build regulated DC PSUs, with soft start, and time delay between filament power and B+, in order to minimize cathode ion bombardment.
And if I find some evidence, theoretical and/or experimental, also would use garlic if necessary.
Old 25th July 2012, 05:06 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by popilin View Post
Here in Argentina, valves are scarce and expensive.
I build regulated DC PSUs, with soft start, and time delay between filament power and B+, in order to minimize cathode ion bombardment.
And if I find some evidence, theoretical and/or experimental, also would use garlic if necessary.
Not only tubes. Here, in the "*** of the world", is a tendency to believe that automatically that new thing appears in the market, older ones are trash. Not only happen with tubes, TVs, monitors, older PC's still perfectly functional, and all other electronic sets.

So, you can walk by the streets viewing not so old CRT TVs scrapped by "Cartoneros" o "Cirujas" to get the copper from them, and I'm speaking of TV's with no more than 2 years of use. This has been happening from I'm a student. (Sorry to moderators, no translation is possible to this words).

I like vinyl disks, and buy a new vinyl of recent musicians (DJs) is extremely difficult, added to the "Presidenta's" staff who believe that block importing is the solution to the economical catastrophe they themselves are creating. This way, neither a tube nor insulin are easy to find.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:29 AM   #35
popilin is offline popilin  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osvaldo de Banfield View Post
Not only tubes. Here, in the "*** of the world", is a tendency to believe that automatically that new thing appears in the market, older ones are trash. Not only happen with tubes, TVs, monitors, older PC's still perfectly functional, and all other electronic sets.

So, you can walk by the streets viewing not so old CRT TVs scrapped by "Cartoneros" o "Cirujas" to get the copper from them, and I'm speaking of TV's with no more than 2 years of use. This has been happening from I'm a student. (Sorry to moderators, no translation is possible to this words).

I like vinyl disks, and buy a new vinyl of recent musicians (DJs) is extremely difficult, added to the "Presidenta's" staff who believe that block importing is the solution to the economical catastrophe they themselves are creating. This way, neither a tube nor insulin are easy to find.
Che loco, cortala con que somos el culo del mundo, la gente nos va a mirar peor que antes.

No conts mas, que me hago cartonero, a diario me toca reparar TVs de mas de 20 aos.
Ac en Traslasierra no tiran ni la tapita de la Coca Cola.

No la invoques mas, Cristina y la p...

Your so poetic terms for our country, people will be excited about coming holiday.

Don't say more, I become a homeless, every day I repair TVs for 20+ years.
Here in Traslasierra don't throw away neither the cap of Coca Cola.

No name to our dear Mrs President.
Old 26th July 2012, 01:52 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

If you want one switch with two functions,consider the standby switch guitar amp professionals use.

Here is one example: Carling Off/Standby/On Switch Blackheart Champion 600 | eBay

no doubt other sources can be found. I've used them myself. With a 1000V dielectric strength,switching B+/HT+ is not a problem.
Old 26th July 2012, 09:57 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to yagoolar Send a message via Skype™ to yagoolar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Why not a car with 2 steering wheels, one per a front wheel?
OT
Could not resist to link the video (Polish crazy engineers) - two wheel small Fiat
MALUCH-tuning - YouTube
Old 26th July 2012, 03:31 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagoolar View Post
OT
Could not resist to link the video (Polish crazy engineers) - two wheel small Fiat
MALUCH-tuning - YouTube
This is flexible!

By the way, my grandfather Pavel Sinski was Polish blacksmith.
Old 26th July 2012, 05:12 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to yagoolar Send a message via Skype™ to yagoolar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
This is flexible!

By the way, my grandfather Pavel Sinski was Polish blacksmith.
Ha! I have the same name as your GF.
Old 26th July 2012, 05:36 PM   #40
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Please steer clear of political comments - they are a violation of forum policy. Further such posts will be deleted, and infractions given.

Hide this!Advertise here!