Separate Filament and B+ Switches - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2012, 08:35 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Wire the two switches such that the filament switch not only switches the filament transformers, but also applies the mains voltage to the HV switch. This avoids that the HV can be accidentally switched on without filament voltage.

Best regards

Thomas
Old 24th July 2012, 08:37 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osvaldo de Banfield View Post
I personally stronger dislike mixin' sand and glass. SS for SS and VTR for tube amp.
I personally strongly like to mix whatever needs to get better results. And can't understand why somebody would want to set meaningless boundaries.
Old 24th July 2012, 08:42 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylsavor View Post

Wire the two switches such that the filament switch not only switches the filament transformers, but also applies the mains voltage to the HV switch. This avoids that the HV can be accidentally switched on without filament voltage.
Looks like it is the best solution of the initial problem. Such approach was used in radar stations. Also, antenna switches (actually, doors between waveguides) had additional switches to prevent powering on high voltage source until it switches properly. It was the requirements for magnetrons, to have hot emitting cathode, and properly tuned output, before applying anode voltage. However, I don't understand why it would be needed for audio amps, but since it is a hobby everyone is free to go for own personal goals.
Old 24th July 2012, 08:54 PM   #24
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi!

Best regards

Thomas
Good Idea! Thanks, Thomas!
Old 24th July 2012, 08:56 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
However, I don't understand why it would be needed for audio amps, but since it is a hobby everyone is free to go for own personal goals.
In this case the answer is...because I want to!

Maybe I have a switch fetish.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:00 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz View Post
In this case the answer is...because I want to!

Maybe I have a switch fetish.
Please don't use "the brand of a switch with 4 letters that start with Ni."

Old 24th July 2012, 09:15 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Two switches are the only right way to power on a tube amp, it is less expensive and simpler too, I fell afraid when I see just a sole switch in a amp.
Temporized relay, clocks etc are more expensive and prone to fail with age, a 2șclass solution, some tubes had long heating time as 6C33(600 seconds) for the cathode to reach the proper temperature, a 600 seconds timer is too long.
Ralph Karsten use two switches in the Atma-Sphere amps and its run alot of tubes.

Last edited by FullRangeMan; 24th July 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:19 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi!

Best regards

Thomas
Great idea! I will rewire my preamp this way.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:54 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd View Post
Or building the rectifier with damper-diodes wich give you a nice warm-up time from 20 to 30 seconds.

For a preamp the duo-diode 6BY5 from RCA would be a good choice.

Best regards
Michael
I have a couple 6BY5s, but I'm leaning toward an all DH preamp. Having two switches gives more flexibility.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:59 PM   #30
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan
Two switches are the only right way to power on a tube amp
Nonsense. In most cases one switch with no sequencing at all is the correct way to power an amp. If sequencing is needed (rare with normal audio valves) then it should be automatic. If you are "afraid" then use proper interlocking so the switching is failsafe. Two switches is either a DIY fad (it's a free world) or a marketing ploy for ignorant people. Why not add a third switch for the input signal?

Hide this!Advertise here!