Tube regulators and noise ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2003, 12:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube regulators and noise ?

I just bought most of the parts for a little differential line stage that needs 140-150 vdc at 60 ma. Would a pair of oa3,s have less noise than say a 2 75v 10w zeners with a good 100uf bypass cap. Or could I follow the oa3,s with say a 10 ohm resistor and a good 100 uf cap. and not have it go into osilation?

Thanks,
woody
Old 18th October 2003, 04:52 PM   #2
45guy is offline 45guy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Try an OD3

Hi Woody,

Try an OD3 with no caps, or something very small after it. That tube works well in my E80CC linestage, actually 2 of them in series for 300v B+. They are nice and quiet and I love the glow! Can you get 185-195v out of your PT before the tubes? You are correct that a 100uF after the VR tube will cause problems. Try not to add any more resistance in the PS than you really have to. The current set resistor won't be noticable since the VR tube/s are shunts and keep impedance low. Hey, that gives me an idea...
More later on the idea part.

Tom
Old 18th October 2003, 05:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't find vr tubes noisy either but they sure make things sound good.
Old 18th October 2003, 05:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The VR tubes are a lot more capricious than zeners to get working but they sure sound better. No idea about the noise; i use several in a phono stage with no noise issues.
Old 18th October 2003, 06:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Most VR tubes oscillate when they have a shunt cap bigger than 0.1F across them.

I never noticed any noise issues but yes, they can be a little harder to get working but that's due to the fact that a lot of people do not read through the datasheet properly.

Other than that they just work and work and work...

Cheers,
Old 18th October 2003, 06:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have used VR regulators thanks to Frank's help. In my 5687 line stage it sounds much better and the difference is very apparent. In my 5692 line stage I use a set of 0D3 and 0B3's for each channel. I never tried this one without the VR's as I am sold on them. As stated in other post not more than .1 cap.

Hide this!Advertise here!