• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

testing tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I recently acquired a variety of pre and power tubes (everything from 12ax7 to 6v6), they are mostly from old reel to reel machines from the 60's and 70's.

I don't have access to a tube tester and would like to try them on my guitar amps, but don't want to risk damaging the amps.

Here is my question, IS there any risk to the amps if I plug these tubes in?
If so, would it be catastrophic or minor?
Is there any way to test tubes without a tube tester, say some simple DIY test circuit setup? I have some basic electronics and soldering experience.

Cheers

Hello,

I recently acquired a variety of pre and power tubes (everything from 12ax7 to 6v6), they are mostly from old reel to reel machines from the 60's and 70's.

I don't have access to a tube tester and would like to try them on my guitar amps, but don't want to risk damaging the amps.

Here is my question, IS there any risk to the amps if I plug these tubes in?
If so, would it be catastrophic or minor?
Is there any way to test tubes without a tube tester, say some simple DIY test circuit setup? I have some basic electronics and soldering experience.

Cheers

In theory there could be a bad tube that will damage the amp. Some kinds of un-likely internal shorts come to mind. But in real life these kinds of pathological tube failures don't happen.

But simply placing the tube in an guitar amp is a VERY crude test and only gives you a very basic "thumbs up or down" result. Guitar amps have so much gain that even very weak tubes will make noise. This test will "pass" marginal tubes.

Best way to test is not to use a tube tester either. Simply bead board an simple triode gain stage and measure the gain with AC voltmeters. You can d the same with the power tubes. Use a resistor as a dummy load. All you need is two or three resistors and a power supply.

You can't hurt the amp by plugging ANY 12AX7 into it, even if it's shorted. Might damage your EARS... though, by creating serious hum.

6V6 is a POWER tube, so it's a different story. A shorted or gassy tube might blow a fuse or blow cathode or screen resistors (I'd say "big deal" - 50 cents worth of parts to replace...) Power and output transformers don't fail instantly (though the latter CAN burn up, instantly, if you crank the output with no speaker attached).

And if a tube SOUNDS good, it IS good, in that application... regardless of test reading. A 12AX7 works at a fraction of the current it sees in a tube tester... so a low-emission tube may work just fine.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hello,

I don't have access to a tube tester and would like to try them on my guitar amps,

Cheers

There has been many thoughts of a simple diy test setup for the most common 6,3V E-types / 12A.. types . ...looked around and found some ideas, ....which might be of some help?
The "Nos" 12AT7 Telefunken does it "leak"oxygen , or the two triodes...do they match?
Any ideas to the set-up schematic for ECC83 , 6SN7 and EL34 would be highly appreciated.

Two PSU's attached high voltage +300Vdc and neg. -120Vdc....DC heaters.

Schematic set-up link for ECC83, ECC82, ECC81, 6SN7 , EL34 :

https://picasaweb.google.com/103176186685392443797/TubeTester#5814822949922722402

https://picasaweb.google.com/103176186685392443797/TubeTester#5815835953886498290

https://picasaweb.google.com/103176186685392443797/TubeTester#5815836760178462642

Attachments

• Rørtester.GIF
    Rørtester.GIF
    33.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.